General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys will love this one...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:46 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts
Default You guys will love this one...

So i pull into Walgreen's today, park the bike and head for the door. As I walk I am watching a Harley ride by on the street.

Suddenly the Harley slams on the brakes and hits the horn. Why? Because someone has just turned left into Walgreen's right in front of him!

I tell you gentlemen I was not going to stand for that. I stand there waiting in my righteous anger to tell off the cager. I watch as a little old lady with white hair (she looked just like my mother!) gets out of the car and heads for the door.

In my nicest, most polite voice I say "Ma'am, please be more careful, cars turning left kill many motorcyclists". She looks up at me, totally confused and asks "Was there a problem?" "Ma'am", I reply, "didn't you see the motorcycle you almost ran down?" "Didn't you hear his skidding tire or his horn?" "Why no", she says, "You see I can't hear very well." "Well please be more careful in the future", I tell her. "I will", she replies.

And then she gives me a conspiratorially wink and says "I AM NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE DRIVING, BUT MY SISTER IS SICK."

I had no idea what else to say to her at this point...

This is the 100% unvarnished truth and happened about 1 hour ago in Lorain, Ohio on Levitt Rd.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:53 PM
JokerJ13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rider was doing what he was suppose to do. paying attention for just such a thing. Any and everything can happen on the road, be it on your bike or in a cage. You have to do your best to look out for the other person, be it a elderly women who isn't suppose to drive or a young speeder that should be allowed to drive.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain

She can't see very well either obviously.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:07 PM
jwhardin
Road Master

you should have clocked her!

Old 05-31-2012, 03:08 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow just wow. Not sure what I'd say at that point then either.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:12 PM
jwhardin
Road Master

actually, you could have prodded her for more info like...

does she have a license...

then RAT HER OUT TO THE COPS!!

Old 05-31-2012, 03:14 PM
TheGeek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have called the cops. We had an elder guy in FL run over 2 kids and killed them...his wife was in the hospital and he was going to see her. He kept on driving away, he thought he hit trash cans.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,959 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
So i pull into Walgreen's today, park the bike and head for the door. As I walk I am watching a Harley ride by on the street.

Suddenly the Harley slams on the brakes and hits the horn. Why? Because someone has just turned left into Walgreen's right in front of him!
Doesn't surprise me one bit Wiz. Happens all the time. I fully expect cagers to left turn in front of me, and I'm pleasantly surprised when they don't.

You handled the situation very nicely. But honestly, Grandma could have used a reality check from some cop…checking her license and such.

It would have just been one more injured or dead biker after the fact, if the rider hadn't had excellent SA. Grandma would have said she didn't see anything, and that would have been the end of that. Lucky that we had a happy ending this time.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:31 PM
spongetail
Road Captain

As deplorable as it may seem to call the cops on an elderly lady, it could just save someone's life. Maybe your own.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:37 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Explains the left turn. That is why we ride defensively and should drive defensively. Best way to avoid the wreck is not be the second idiot. I would have just shook my head and let it go after the confession. I wouldn't call the cops because I am not a rat. Dislike rats more than I fear dumbass drivers.

Quick Reply: You guys will love this one...