General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6ft tall, 240lbs w/ 32inch inseam..on a sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 6ft tall, 240lbs w/ 32inch inseam..on a sportster?

Was thinking about the new 2012 sportster custom 1200. It's priced right for my budget. However, will this bike be too small............ or will I feel embarrassed (hahaha) at the red lights? Would you laugh at someone my size on a sportster at a red light? LOL

Now I know some of you will just tell me to go to the dealer and sit on the darn thing to find out if it is too small, but sitting on the bike for a minute or two is a hell of alot different then riding it for an hour or two.

Any big guys (6ft tall or more) here ride sportsters?

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 05-31-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I think if you did buy it, you would want something bigger soon and would lose money on the trade up.

And to be honest, yea, I think you would look goofy on such a small bike.

Just my opinion though, it's your money, do what makes ya happy.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 PM
ThreatLevel Midnight
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm 5-11 and only weigh a (fit and athletic, ha ha) 170, and the main reason i traded my 1200C for a Wide Glide was that the seat (and believe me, i tried EVERYTHING) was just too narrow to be comfortable on long rides. Can't tell that just by sitting on one for a few minutes. Found out the hard way on a four day Lake Superior Circle Tour. Beautiful trip,
butt agonizing. (Get it?)

Old 05-31-2012, 10:22 PM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I'm 6'4 and aint gonna tell u my weight!....i'm a lot more than 240 though.....i feel a little stupid but only when i pull up at work and the two little guys next to me are on a fat boy and a big touring bike.....ohh yeah and i was at a light the other day and a hot chick pulled up right behind me on a big *** custom chopper.....she was about a hundred pounds soaking wet, tank top on...i had my full face helmet on and my big armored jacket....i felt like an idiot kind of.......

but when i start riding and can relax it all feels better....i am still quite nervous riding....this is my first bike and i am getting over all my nerves and trying to actually have a little fun while riding.....gotta get rid of the whole white knuckle thing yet.......

i can tell u one thing though...i have a 1200 sportier and it feels like i am moving like a bat outta hell and i am barely giving it any throttle i think.....i think it is more than enough power for a beginner....almost too much.....ryan

p.s.-i can see wanting a bigger bike but more for roominess and comfort while riding not necessarily power......ryan

Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it is already in your head that the Sporty will be too small then don't buy it. If you can afford a new 1200C then you can just a easily buy a very low mileage Dyna that is only 2 or 3 years old. Save yourself the headache and get a bigger bike IMO.

I was in your position a while back and I made the mistake of buying a sportster knowing in the back of my mind it was going to be too small. Needless to say, I am now on a Fat Bob and loving it, but I wasted a lot of money in the process. Good luck

Last edited by Greatscott; 05-31-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If I seen you at a red light ,first thing to come to mind would be, look it`s an Elephant riding an Ant!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:28 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

6'3" and 220. Absolutely no problem on a Sportster. They are taller in the saddle that the Dyna's and Softail's. It is more likely that one can be too short for a Sportster. The 12 Softail Slim in the lowest seat height of any HD. They expect to market more of the to "GIRLS" than the Sportsters!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by solowrider
If I seen you at a red light ,first thing to come to mind would be, look it`s an Elephant riding an Ant!
that was funny!! Made me laugh!!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 PM
StCRider
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
I think if you did buy it, you would want something bigger soon and would lose money on the trade up.

And to be honest, yea, I think you would look goofy on such a small bike.

Just my opinion though, it's your money, do what makes ya happy.
This is a pretty good answer.

Not so much I think you would look goofy, but I think you would have regrets in the first season that you didn;t get a big twin.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

6'4", 240, 2000 Sportster. Sure doesn't feel small to me (883, maybe a little underpowered though). I started riding in the 60's, and few bikes back then were as big as today's sportsters, other than Harleys, Indians, and only a few European bikes. We're just used to 600 lb + big iron today, wasn't always like that. A 65 Triumph or BSA was considered a hot bike back then, but they were small next to my sporty. I rode a 350 lb Honda from Texas to Florida, Gulf coast to Missouri; the sporty is a luxurious heavyweight compared to that. But I was about 60 lbs smaller then, too.

Quick Reply: 6ft tall, 240lbs w/ 32inch inseam..on a sportster?