General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made an old man smile

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:23 PM
CLYDE60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Made an old man smile

The first "BIG" bike I can remember was my uncle's '53 indian that he bought new when he got out of the service. To this day whenever I see them fenders it puts me back. Fast forward this winter I turned my wife's sporty into a trike and was looking for some fenders I could widen, and run across some fiberglass aftermarket Indian ones, that look brings back good memories for me and was a little different than other trikes for the wife. I fabricated the trunk out of aluminum and painted it, it was finished this spring.
My cousin stopped over and when he seen it the first thing he said was them fenders remind me of dad's old bike I told him that's why they are on there, We had a few beers and talked about old times.
He told his dad about the trike and this weekend my uncle stopped over to look it over, he walked around it once and as I turned to get us some beers I heard him say something when I turned I didn't see him as I walked back to the bike here's this 80yr old man laying on the floor asking me how I hooked the swing arm up. " I have been blessed with men in my life growing up that would sooner look under or into something to figure it themselves " I layed down on the other side and we talked about how I put it together.
After we got up I handed him a beer, He got a big smile on his face sat down and started telling stories about all the bikes and the trouble him and my dad used to get into.
About an hour after he left my cousin called said he just got off the phone with his dad he couldn't stop talking about it. So I asked my wife if we could barrow her trike she's all for it, we 're going to take it over to his house next week and see if we can get him to go for a ride with us. Should be fun if nothing else we'll get to here some more stories.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Dawgtraxx
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story, cool looking trike

Old 06-05-2012, 02:29 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like it.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Mickey D
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent looking sporty trike! Love the fender.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:56 PM
ultrat
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job,,,,,
Cool story.....-'..'-,.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

That's just excellent. Moments like that always leave a lasting and wonderful impression on you and those around you.

And the trike looks very cool as well.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:27 PM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I hope your uncle goes for a ride with you.
Several year back I rode my '01 Road King to my aunts house in Kentucky and we went to family reunion, her brother from Ohio followed us back to her house to spend a few days. The morning I was leaving I looked out the bedroom window and saw my uncle sitting on the Road King.
My uncles had early 50's Harleys and took me on my first motorcycle ride. The uncle that was sitting on my bike still carries a picture of his motorcycle in his wallet. He is 91 now and is in a nursing home.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

You're a good man, Charlie Brown. As a former owner of a 1946 Indian, I really like the looks of your trike.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:20 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good story, I hope he takes you up on the offer and enjoys the ride!

Quick Reply: Made an old man smile