General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike totaled, I'm alive

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 PM
rero360
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike totaled, I'm alive

late last month, the 22nd, I was coming home from college when a woman hit me pretty much head on. Destroyed my '07 soft tail standard.

I have no memory of the crash or really the following 18 hours or so, but what I am told is I was traveling west bound on the street (2 lanes each direction) when the woman, coming in the opposite direction, decided to make a left hand turn into me. What I learned later on was that the woman was celebrating her birthday, had a few to drink, but was below the legal limit when they gave her a breathalyzer on the scene. I was taken to the hospital with a laceration to the back of my head (two staples) a fractured bone somewhere in my right foot/ankle, a bruised left middle toe, a bruised left lung, and some minor cuts to the back of my right hand and my right middle finger base joint is acting weird, feels like it wants to dislocate when I use the finger.

Apparently I refused to spend the night at the hospital and threatened to crawl home if they tried to keep me, thankfully the girlfriend was there and took me home and looked after me for the next few days until my mom flew in from the east coast.

Total damage, outside of bodily, that I know of, is the bike is totaled I'm told the front end is sheared right off and the rear wheel was ripped off as well. My Oakley sunglasses were destroyed but saved my eyes, just had a small scratch above my right eye. The paramedics cut my leather coat and shirt off of me, and my helmet was pretty much cracked in the back where I'm told my head hit the curb. The paramedics cut the laces off of my Oakley boots as well, but the boots themselves survived.

All total, I'm grateful to be alive and not more seriously injured, I have a lawyer who will be taking care of my financial concerns. The helmet was a Harley skull cap, bought it back in NY probably in '07, one of the ones with the tribal designs on it.

I don't know exactly how the crash occurred but I know that both vehicles (don't know what she was driving) are totaled, the bike is in pieces, and I got away without any really serious injuries.

As far as I'm concerned, the helmet and bike saved my life. I hope some of the execs from HD read this and thank their people for doing their jobs right and help save me.

Hopefully my lawyer can get enough out of her to pay my medical expenses and at least put a good down payment on a new bike, that soft tail that I had I bought straight from the factory while I was in Iraq and used my reenlistment bonus and then some to pay for it.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:01 AM
liljoejoe54
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, sorry to hear this bro but I'm glad you are ok. As bad as it is, it could have been much worse. I hope you are as good as new soon.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:14 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,494 Likes on 2,483 Posts

DOWN PAYMENT MY ***!

Hit her Ins. co. for a brand new CVO or SE or whatever top-of-the-line sled you can get,new leathers,boots,etc. AND THEN SOME!

Glad you're OK to do some new bike shopping.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:28 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad you are okay. if i ever go down, i kinda hope its one of those, "i dont remember a thing. i just woke up and was glad to wake up." the aaaHHHH SSSSHHH*TTT, im going to get hit, kinda going down, i dont want to experience ....

go after the insurance. hell yeah. tell them a brand new CVO will take care of all the pain and suffering.... nothing less.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Glad your okay man, heal up fast and ask for a new bike.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:44 AM
tonka45
Cruiser

Glad to hear you are fine. Hopefully the bills will get paid. Too bad to come back home from a combat tour and eat the pavement for any reason...
Good luck and all the best!!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 AM
humvee
Advanced

Went through the same thing years ago, but I remember the whole thing, and my guy drove off. Be glad they caught her.

Glad you're alive. Could have been much worse. Hopefully her insurance will cover all your bills, replace your gear, and put a new ride in your hands. Sounds like you loved that bike.

Good luck man. It's tough, but could be tougher.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 AM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey ... Certainly good news you are here to talk about it, but as others have said, get a lawyer and get a decent settlement and hope you get back in the wind as soon as you can.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 AM
rrm3
Tourer

Glad your OK, get well and get ya a new bike.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 AM
Lambo
Tourer

Glad your ok dude, ditto on what every one else has said, go for the gusto on this one. Someone needs to pull that bitches head out of her ***! Hit everyone in the pocket book, they seem to pay attention when that happens. Your lucky to be alive!

Oh yeah...THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! BE safe in this crazy country of cagers.

Quick Reply: Bike totaled, I'm alive