General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife wants to go for a ride!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kzoo
A bit apprehensive about the extra weight of a passenger. Been awhile since any 2 up
I ride two-up so much, for me it's weird when I get to ride by myself.

Just take it slow for a while, and don't forget to adjust the shocks for the additional weight.

Make sure she knows to sit still, especially when going slow.

Have fun!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:22 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and enjoy her company!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:26 AM
baldheadjim
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbinesaint
I'm in the same boat, my wife is finally ready to get on the back. I don't see us taking any long treks but could be a good time. Plus, I won't have to hear her talk about all the home improvement projects she wants to do like when we are in the car.
Cool!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Take your time explain to her what she should and should not do. Take her to some place you normally go to (restaurant, friends) but take the long way to get there and back. Don't make her first ride to long. After her first ride talk to her after about what she liked or did not like. Once she is comfortable you will be riding more and having a great time.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,945 Likes on 6,269 Posts

First things first...familiarize her with the "no free rides" concept. Make sure she pays up front. This accomplishes two things: You're happier, and her jaw will be too tired to talk in your ear when she gets on the back.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm the co-rider Wife, and I love being back there, no interest in riding my own. DH road single for a year, (a legal requirement) then traded his Dyna in for an Ultra before he even let me through a leg over. His brother rides, took his wife for her first bike ride, it was cold, wet, and miserable, she's never touched it since. My guy wanted my experience to make we want more and it worked, I love it.
Think of it like sex: discuss the should-do's, take it slow, make it good.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Low Down
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

kzoo, you and your wife should read the info in this link:

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Pas..._Tip_Sheet.pdf

There is some great info in there for both of you. Starting this experience off in a safe and positive manner will be a huge confidence and communication builder.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you, kzoo! When I first started riding after a loooong hiatus, my wife really didn't want me to. Too bad for her I had a bike when we got married and she rode a couple times with me. She didn't have any real excuses. Imagine my surprise when she says let's ride to some friends one day. I was more scared of her falling off...hadn't yet bought a sissy bar...than she was of riding. Her only complaint was her *** was sore when we got there. Then, last weekend, she was out and I decided to ride. Just as I step into the garage, she pulls up. When I say I'm going for a ride she asks "You didn't want to wait for me?" So we end up doing another 50 miles together that day. I do believe she likes it. My next mods will be the sissy bar, extended passenger pegs and a seat with better passenger comfort. I really don't think a sporty was designed with much 2-up in mind LOL.

Enjoy her company. I know I do my wife's.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 AM
jwhardin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife wants to go for a ride!!!

cool.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:13 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,222 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Mine did that last week. Decided she wanted to go to Laughlin NV on the bike and wanted to do it on Route 66 going there and two lanes coming back also. Ended up being about 500 miles round trip and the temps were in the upper 90's most of the way there and back. It was 108 degrees when we got to Laughlin. Wind blew most of the trip as well.

She said that she's glad she got that out of her system and won't even think about getting on it again unless it's to the local bar and back.

OH well. Was fun while it lasted.

Quick Reply: Wife wants to go for a ride!!!