General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dealer's used bikes are from auctions... is this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My dealer's used bikes are from auctions... is this bad?

I am shopping around for a newly used 2011 super glide custom and my dealer has a few with under 2000 miles. He even has a 2009 SG with only 975 miles. He told me that they all came from auctions. I was curious about the quality of used bikes when comparing trade-ins vs. auctions...

The dealer here in Tucson gets most of thier bikes from auctions. I am not sure, but I get nervous when hearing that any vehicle came from an auction. I have this image in my head that the vehicles are abused, beat up. I also feel that they are just one more middle man in the chain of sales.... one more person to lie about the bike. (the more a lie is told, the true story morphs and morphs) Anyone have anything to say about auctions? Is my nervousness about auctions unfounded?
Also, can the odometer on a harley be turned back? I hear that once upon a time, that was the scam with auction houses and I was surprised and in disbelief that the 2009 SG my dealer had only 975 miles

thanks in advance

Old 06-10-2012, 01:15 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Motorcycles, cars, boats, any vehicle you can think of are sold at auctions every week. It's just a commodity for dealers, sell when you need to, buy when inventory is low. Just do your due diligence and you'll get a great bike.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:16 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it makes you nervous buy a new one.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Rooster37
Road Master

I know the dealer around me and he buys quite a bit from auctions. He told me that he prefers local used bikes but does not get enough of those in. The owner said that a lot of the bikes are repos. I dont know how true all that is but I bought a new bike from there and he knew I was not in the market. As for the image of some ragged out wrecked bike, I get the same image in my head and I do not know if I would buy one. That is just me though....

Old 06-10-2012, 01:47 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most are repo's!!

Old 06-10-2012, 04:04 PM
kcdowning
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade ins too!

I know a non Harley dealer that will take a Harley on Trade and then check with a local dealer. If he does not want it they send it to auction. He said he would actually prefer not to deal with trade ins at all that are not his dealership brands.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:48 PM
yandeltx
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Car dealerships often utlilze auctions to get rid of the bikes they take on trade. Most car dealerships don't really like messing with bikes.

Originally Posted by BKSinAZ
I am shopping around for a newly used 2011 super glide custom and my dealer has a few with under 2000 miles. He even has a 2009 SG with only 975 miles. He told me that they all came from auctions. I was curious about the quality of used bikes when comparing trade-ins vs. auctions...

The dealer here in Tucson gets most of thier bikes from auctions. I am not sure, but I get nervous when hearing that any vehicle came from an auction. I have this image in my head that the vehicles are abused, beat up. I also feel that they are just one more middle man in the chain of sales.... one more person to lie about the bike. (the more a lie is told, the true story morphs and morphs) Anyone have anything to say about auctions? Is my nervousness about auctions unfounded?
Also, can the odometer on a harley be turned back? I hear that once upon a time, that was the scam with auction houses and I was surprised and in disbelief that the 2009 SG my dealer had only 975 miles

thanks in advance

Old 06-10-2012, 05:07 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Not sure, but I believe my '04 was a repo, then auctioned. Got it from out of state on ChopperExchange and had it shipped. 15,000 miles. Talk about a leap of faith! Came without keys but ignition unlocked is why I think it was a repo. H-D sent new keys when asked. No problems in almost 2 years. FWIW.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:22 PM
oneballz
Road Captain

Many reasons bike go to auctions and the reasons should be no issue.
A friend of mine is a car wholesaler, he buys at auctions, calls the dealers and flips them to the dealers, that then retail it used.
So I wouldn't worry about the auction.
If you can get to an auction and buy a bike or car there, then your better off by cutting out one middle man.
My friend, the wholesaler, texted me last week, 2008 SG, 5K miles, stage one, lots of extras, they wanted $16500. He bought it and flipped it to Mancuso HD for a few hundred dollars. Thats what they do.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He is obviously up front about it so what's the big deal other than you not wanting one from an auction

Quick Reply: My dealer's used bikes are from auctions... is this bad?