General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:46 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
Oil drained from the tank past the check ball into the crankcase. When you started it up it blew the oil in the cases out the vent. The sucking sound when you first started kicking it over was the excess oil in the cases.

As far as the chain oiler, just adjust it so it doesn't work, or remove the line and plug the fitting. Much better to run an o-ring chain and/or spray with some good chain lube rather than use engine oil on it.
Agree, Just tighten down the adjuster screw and go O-ring. When I was young I always carried a small pan to slip under my bike when I parked. The rule used to be if your Harley wasn't leaking, yer out of oil.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:47 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 905 Posts

Or. You could block off the primary and get some wet style clutch plates and run it as a sealed primary. I did that on many a shovel. It keeps the oil that runs though the primary over the chain and clutch from reentering the engine. Think about all the metal shavings off the primary chain? All the particles from the clutch plates? All that going back though the engine? Sure, there is a small filter. But. Have your ever took the primary cover off one of those bikes. Lots off bad stuff in there,huh? OK. I'll shut up.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:56 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,485 Posts

Originally Posted by honestbob
Agree, Just tighten down the adjuster screw and go O-ring. When I was young I always carried a small pan to slip under my bike when I parked. The rule used to be if your Harley wasn't leaking, yer out of oil.
Well, not quite. Until 1965 HD used a total loss system in that oil from the motor was diverted to the primary chain. Rule of thumb was that anything greater than a 50-cent piece (under the primary when parked) was too much oil and you adjsuted accordingly.

Originally Posted by OLD 96
Or. You could block off the primary and get some wet style clutch plates and run it as a sealed primary. I did that on many a shovel. It keeps the oil that runs though the primary over the chain and clutch from reentering the engine. Think about all the metal shavings off the primary chain? All the particles from the clutch plates? All that going back though the engine? Sure, there is a small filter. But. Have your ever took the primary cover off one of those bikes. Lots off bad stuff in there,huh? OK. I'll shut up.
Think about all the metal shavings off the primary chain? If you have noticeable metal shavings coming off the primary chain then you have some serious alignment issues but that is a reason that maintenance was done on a more "routine" basis.

Sure, there is a small filter. But. Have your ever took the primary cover off one of those bikes. Lots off bad stuff in there,huh?

My 65 has a drop-in filter, my 84 a remote filter. Do the maintenance on each. Exactly what is the "lots of bad stuff in there" that you are referring to?

Last edited by panz4ever; 06-25-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Well, not quite. Until 1965 HD used a total loss system in that oil from the motor was diverted to the primary chain. Rule of thumb was that anything greater than a 50-cent piece (under the primary when parked) was too much oil and you adjsuted accordingly.

Think about all the metal shavings off the primary chain? If you have noticeable metal shavings coming off the primary chain then you have some serious alignment issues but that is a reason that maintenance was done on a more "routine" basis.

Sure, there is a small filter. But. Have your ever took the primary cover off one of those bikes. Lots off bad stuff in there,huh?

My 65 has a drop-in filter, my 84 a remote filter. Do the maintenance on each. Exactly what is the "lots of bad stuff in there" that you are referring to?
Golly,panz. I thought if any one knew what I was talking about it would be you. Even with primary chain in complete alignment metal shavings are going to come off the sprockets and chain just from natural up and down the road use.DUH. Material from clutch plates being engaged and disengaged.DUH?
Bad stuff is stuff you do not want reentering you engine lubricating system.
Why do you think they did away with that design of primary chain lubricating system? Before 1965 primary chain oiling system was a total loss system. You just trying to assert your dominance? I do like to get into pissing contests.
I did believe in you til now?

Last edited by OLD 96; 06-25-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: spelling like a 1st grader.duh.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:16 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,485 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
Golly,panz. I thought if any one knew what I was talking about it would be you. Even with primary chain in complete alignment metal shavings are going to come off the sprockets and chain just from natural up and down the road use.DUH. Material from clutch plates being engaged and disengaged.DUH?
Bad stuff is stuff you do not want reentering you engine lubricating system.
Why do you think they did away with that design of primary chain lubricating system? Before 1965 primary chain oiling system was a total loss system. You just trying to assert your dominance? I do like to get into pissing contests.
I did believe in you til now?
Guess I just don't think of it in terms of "metal shavings" is all. Agree that there are particles of metal from normal wear and tear on chain and clutch plates but with proper clutch adjustment and chain alignment, those components will go thousands of miles before they are worn out, so I just think the amount of metal coming off the chain and material coming off the plate is offset by routine maintenance (every 2500 miles).

Undertsand that MoCo separated the sytems for longevity of engine components and lengthen time between service, but they also upgraded engine design as well. About the only way for sure to see if sealing a primary on an older bike really makes a difference would be to take two shovels with same configuration, say both FXE, seal one, leave the other factory, run them under normal conditions for X-amount of miles, then have a good mechanic take thhe motors apart and measure "wear-and-tear" in order to adequately determine if a sealed primary actaully extends the like of the motor and by how big of a percentage.

Not trying to "assert my dominance"; there are many more who have forgotten a hell of a lot more than I will ever learn or know. Not interested in a "pissing match"; it is simply my opinion and now that I offered it I will back out of the converstaion so that others may offer theirs.

Last edited by panz4ever; 06-25-2012 at 09:19 AM.