General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you biking community

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 PM
hooter23
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you biking community

Me and the wife just got home last night from a 10 day bike vacation. We take two a year since the kids have gotten older. Every trip is awesome with a few glitches but that is what makes each trip memorable. We rode from Baltimore to bushkill falls pa first evening,then catskills for two nights with a trip to woodstock site and museum.Stayed in adirondocks for three nights and even rode over to Vermont around Lake Champlain.and Mount snow. Our final three nights Harley Rendevous in New york, by the way one hell of a party. In my opinion as good as chilicothe easy rider rodeo, East coast Sturgis, and Buffalo chip. wild drunken debauchery. Any way the ride home wasn't as planned. We decided to take the long way home about 400 miles,about 8 hours.Well it took over twelve and we didn't even stop at a restaurant. Let me state hear I AM NO MECHANIC. Well 80 miles in the bike sounds like I am running straight pipes on the left side,I have an 08 ultra with stock pipes and pull a timeout camper. Well we get off the bike and the exhaust in about three inches off the ground under the wifes foot peg. I was afraid to run the bike and we have no phone service.I bungy cord the pipe and in the middle of no where I am going to look for a motel and get it fixed on monday somewhere.Well a bike stops and a guy with a cane riding a sidecar temporary fixes the pipe but tells me it will only last about an hour.He actually took off his boot and used it for a hammer.I actually tried what he did without the shoe but this guy was very creative and I AM NOT A MECHANIC.We stopped at some places looking for wire to finish the job like Macgyver said,thats what the wife called the guy in the sidecar. Looked in a dumpster, people in the gas station, side of road everywhere. Well we pulled over a lot,had a few bikes pull over to see if we were okay along the way used my boot but it finally broke again.I am now halfway home and I guess we aren't going to work in the morning. Two guys traveling from Mass. to gettysburg stop and have some wire in his bags.I am now filthy dirty laying in the ground and tie the pipes up again.while these two give moral support. I tried giving all three guys a few bucks for lunch beer whatever and no way would they take it. but the second two told me me and the wife to stop at the bar when we got home and remember them two.I'm still no mechanic or Macgyver but am very thankful to everbody who tried to help us.Oh the wife and me stopped at the bar at the top of the street and laughed about our adventure are already lookin forward to the August vacation. THANK YOU AGAIN BIKING COMMUNITY.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 PM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Those type of trips you remember and learn...looks like it was still fun

Happened to me a few months ago..
Flat tire...Complete stranger went home got his trailer and van and said bring it back when you're done with it..

Just remember to pass the good faith on if you see someone stopped..

I've already given 2 guys gas, and another helped him fix an old sportster magneto

Last edited by katobird; 06-26-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:27 PM
gonzo3426
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good deed...there are still kind people in the world today...

Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 PM
hooter23
Intermediate

My wife just reminded me that in the last month I have stopped twice to help others. Once to just push a womens car off the rode.The other time at a campground rode to a parts store for a guy in a campground to get a part.Wife calls it paying it forward.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:45 PM
98XL1200C
Road Captain

Glad you made it home safe. And a BIG THANKS to all who helped you. Some good people out there.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Good story. Thanks for sharing. I learned early on that these mishaps are really a part of the adventure and lead to more memories.

I signed up for being called to assist on the list that one of the bike attorneys operates. It's called BAM (Breakdown & Assistance for Motorcycle riders).

1-800-4-BIKERS. I live in the Midwest and for four years have never gotten a call. I'm off I-80 east of the Mississippi River on the way to Chicago. A lot of through bike traffic.

Darn HD's just don't break down anymore.

I'm retired and am usually around. Here's is what I have to pick up bikes.

Come on! Somebody break down. If you don't, I will be forced to go on a Gold Wing forum and offer assistance there.