General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to riding- Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:58 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Default New to riding- Advice?

Hey all. I've been following this website for a while now as my interest in riding has increased steadily. I'm finally at a stable enough point financially where I can afford a motorcycle and not break my bank account, so I'd really appreciate any advice for a beginning rider.

I'll likely be taking the MSF course at some point in the next couple of weeks, but as I have to provide most of my own protective equipment, I could use some tips on what to pick up before I attend it. Namely: boots, gloves, eyewear (I currently wear eyeglasses; I may switch to contacts or even look into laser surgery when I start riding more, but for the course, I need something that'll work for the short term.).

Regarding my own bike, I'm most likely going to strike a deal for a used Sportster. It'll probably be from craigslist, so to make sure I don't get screwed: What do I need to look for when deciding on a bike? How will mileage factor into it? What should send up red flags? How much would it cost (and how would I go about this) to customize the fit of the bike? Is swapping in a larger gas tank feasible?

And, in general, any advice for learning on a Sportster?

Old 06-26-2012, 04:47 AM
WVNightster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the MSF coarse,any over the ankle boot with a good non slip sole will be fine.Full fingered leather gloves,long sleeve shirt or jacket and jeans if I remember correctly.If you don't have a DOT helmet and you plan on using one of the helmets provided by the program I would suggest a head wrap(doo rag) of some type as well.As far as tips on customizing the Sportster,check out the Sportster section here,good info there.Most of all when you hit the streets do not try to ride past your abillities.Hit a empty parking lot and practice practice.Welcome to the forum and be safe.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:56 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,992 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by WVNightster
For the MSF coarse,any over the ankle boot with a good non slip sole will be fine.Full fingered leather gloves,long sleeve shirt or jacket and jeans if I remember correctly.If you don't have a DOT helmet and you plan on using one of the helmets provided by the program I would suggest a head wrap(doo rag) of some type as well.As far as tips on customizing the Sportster,check out the Sportster section here,good info there.Most of all when you hit the streets do not try to ride past your abillities.Hit a empty parking lot and practice practice.Welcome to the forum and be safe.
Welcome to the family. Good advice here.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:11 AM
dhubley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have never rode purchase the "Ride Like a Pro" DVD (www.ridelikeapro.com). It is invaluable and will help you during the MSF course and every time you hit the street.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To add to what wvnightster said, it not only has to be a DOT helmet. It has to at least be a 3/4 helmet as well. Even DOT half helmets weren't allowed at the class I took.

Good luck.

Shakey

Old 06-26-2012, 06:15 AM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

As far as purchasing your own bike from Craigs list, patience is a virtue. Take your time and look at several if you can, even if it is not exactly in your price range or whatever, so you will get a feel for nice condition Vs. not so nice.

KBB is a price guide but I'd look on Ebay and see what others have actually sold for.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,902 Likes on 601 Posts

Your local H-D dealer has a program to assist you even when buying from an individual. They'll inspect it and handle your financing if needed. My son did this when he bought his Deluxe. Just a thought...
I would take the course, then go shopping at dealers to check out the different models. You may find another model you like more, or at least get some ideas on customization. Also, visit a few locally-sponsored "Bike Nights" to look around and ask questions. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

when I did the course they said any gloves (including gardening gloves WTF), over the ankle boots and any long sleeved shirt. Beyond that they provide bikes and helmets. Bring lots of water to drink and snacks, we had short breaks with no time to go buy lunch so make sandwiches, bring chips, I made a flask of coffee.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 AM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

ride like a pro video...good advice!! how tall are you? how much do you weigh? sportster is a great bike as long as your not extremely large...comfort wise. they are cheaper to repair/maintain. you can get a 1200 custom which has a 4.5 gal tank. seats are subjective. my sons 1200c has a stock harley seat that is very comfy. my sportster seat was like sitting on a board, so i replaced it with a mustang seat. many (myself included) like forword controls, youll be able to stretch a bit. you can proly find many deals on a sporty, though, i'd try to get an 04 or newer...rubber mounted engines. 04-06are carb...07 and up fuel injected. if the sporty is a bit small, may want to consider a dyna. dont be in a big hurry...shop around, go to dealer and sit on some bikes. good luck

Old 06-26-2012, 10:53 AM
AlphaInfinity
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVNightster
Great advice here. The MSF course is a must. Don't get on a bike before taking that course. I have been riding for about 3 months now and the skills I learned have already saved my butt a few times. After passing the course, make sure you wear all the proper gear including a helmet every....time. They will teach you that most riders end up in accidents within the first 6 months of riding.

My wife learned on a sportster 883L and it was a great starter bike. It was very nimble, had decent power, great balance and it would cruise at 55 very nicely. Find a bike that fits you well. Go with a sportster 1200 if you plan on keeping the motorcycle for a while. It has a little more power and it won't vibrate on the highway at speeds above 60 like the smaller 883. She outgrew the 883 pretty quickly and moved up to a Fatboy Low. Good luck!

Last edited by AlphaInfinity; 06-26-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: New to riding- Advice?