General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Height

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 06:41 PM
tobster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Height

I have stock windshield on my EG Classic. I really would like to get a shorter, darker windshield mainly for the looks. Can someone that rides with a short windshield enlighten me on the effects it would have on the rider and passenger. I have seen some talk on here about a "quick change" system for windshields. Is that a HD product or an aftermarket product, I can't seem to locate such a thing.

Thanks
Tobster

Old 08-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Markcuda
Banned
Default RE: Windshield Height

Can someone that rides with a short windshield enlighten me on the effects it would have on the rider
Bugs

Old 08-03-2005, 06:53 PM
fxdxsteve
Banned

lol
but you're riding a harley so they're tasty bugs

Old 08-03-2005, 06:54 PM
rgerber
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried one, once, but the wind blast was pretty stiff. Still, there are a lot of shorties out there, and they seem to be very popular.
ORIGINAL: tobster

I have stock windshield on my EG Classic. I really would like to get a shorter, darker windshield mainly for the looks. Can someone that rides with a short windshield enlighten me on the effects it would have on the rider and passenger. I have seen some talk on here about a "quick change" system for windshields. Is that a HD product or an aftermarket product, I can't seem to locate such a thing.

Thanks
Tobster

Old 08-03-2005, 07:09 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 6 1/2" HD smoked shorty windshield on mine, and can't tell much difference between it and the standard windshield I had on my Roadking. There might be a few more bugs, but nothing to be concerned about. Wind is not increased to any great degree, and I can hear the stereo fine.

I can't speak for the effects on a passenger, as I hardly ever have one, and then it's just for a brief time.

The windshield is changed by removing the three windshield screws, and loosening the top two fairing screws. takes about 5 minutes once you get the hang of it.

The windshield I have costs about 100.00 from the HD catalog, and there are cheaper ones out there.

I find very little down side, and the improvement in looks is considerable in my opinion.

Regards,

Bill

Old 08-03-2005, 08:12 PM
dozer22
Cruiser

Same goes for me.......I have the 6 1/2 inch wind delflector on my 05 Electra Glide and I can't feel any major difference. I get a bug from time to time, but nothing to complain about. I still hear the stereo fine and The Wife is still happy also!

Old 08-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

Bill and Bob - Can I ask you guys your height? I would love to get a 6 1/2" for the looks but hate to sacrifice any function

Old 08-03-2005, 11:18 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i agree with bill, a stock windshield looks like a 4x8 sheet of plywood i have 6" love it im 5'6"

Old 08-04-2005, 12:48 AM
dozer22
Cruiser

I am 5' 8"..........the 6 1/2" wind deflector along with the fairing on my electra glide is the best combination I have ever had. I like it alot better than the over-sized windshield that came on my softail!

Old 08-04-2005, 02:51 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got the 6 1/2" on mine. I really like the way it looks, and I prefer the way it rides. I can see better, (looking over it), and I have a wind in your face feel without the fatigue of wind on my body. The only way I would know how to compare the two is this...with the stock windshield, I would not need glasses...definitely need them with the shorty. When I wear a half helmet, I don't feel like it's being pulled off, I'm VERY comfortable with my short windscreen.

Kelly, on the other hand prefers the stock windshield on long trips. I guess the wind is pretty bad on the passenger. She's ok with it around town, but for long trips I change it, or hear about it.

I'm 6'3", and I have the Corbin Dual Tourer seat.

Mac

Quick Reply: Windshield Height