General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like another dealer horror story .. :/

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickd
Warranty changes, depends upon the underwriter. Now that's a line of BS. Go have a chat with the service manager and let him/her know what was said. Then grab your warranty and be prepared to go over it once you see the service write up.

No need to be an aggressive dick or a bent over bitch. Treat people with respect and most of the time they'll do the same to you.
The bike was a used bike, could be the warranty is not a "Genuine Harley" warranty. A lot of dealers will sell you some second rate, aftermarket warranty, just to give you that "warm fuzzy feeling of security", so you'll buy the bike.

When it comes down to getting the work done, it has to be cleared with "the underwriter of the policy", all it is, is an insurance policy on your motorcycle!

A lot of Dealerships use these plans when the vehicle doesn't qualify for the original manufacturers warranty.

I bought a new Camaro last year and the GM dealer tried to sell me an aftermarket warranty instead of the GM extended warranty. I couldn't believe it. Come to find out the dealer and the salesman get paid commission on everyone they sell, and they make more $ than what they make selling a GM warranty!!! Go figure! It's always the $$$$$$

Old 07-10-2012, 08:36 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,229 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by 09FLHT
Well, one thing is for sure. If we were allowed to put a vent hole in the heads of the douchebags, thered be a lot less douchebags running around.
yeah, and i'd be willing to bet that there is someone out there that thinks *you* are a douchebag as well, so.... bye bye

Originally Posted by 1goindiesel

"Honey almost always gets more flies that a hammer". I am sure the warranty will cover. If the dealer will not do the right thing then just take it to a more reasonable dealer.
not so easy to do around here. we don't have a plethora of dealers in la. 2hrs up the road, or 2hrs down the road is the closest we got....

Last edited by skratch; 07-10-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:41 PM
onemyndseye
Tourer

Ok so they called with the diagnosis today.. Needs Cams, bearings, bushings, cam plate, chain, etc etc

Now waiting 48 hours for an adjuster to look at the bike and make a warranty determination.

Originally Posted by anotherblacksg
umm "the gloves are coming off in preparation"?? Yeah, my advice is to not be a dick to the service manager. Hell, other than the scheduling thing (which, we should all expect anyway) they haven't done anything wrong yet. So, why is "your friend" getting all fired up?

Better just to stay cool, even if it turns out not to be warranty. I have a service business and nothing slows a job down quicker than someone giving me unnecessary attitude.
Originally Posted by steveo-ll
for once i have to agree with absg.........

I have seen 1st hand that service department bend over backwards to help people with their motorcycles.

Onemyndseye, not sure who your buddy talked to at the dealer. I suggest he have a chat with the service manager.

Although, at this point it's a he said, he said kinda thing, nobody but the original people in the conversation really know what went on.
Ok guys.. lol. I never said I was gonna kick the dudes teeth in or anything else of the nature. The comment about the gloves was more of a metaphorical than anything lol. Just meant that in the mean time I'm helping the guy research his options in fighting this.

SteveO -- This was the service manager he was speaking with. .. I've always heard that Renegade really works hard for the customer but as I havnt had any reason to deal with them as of yet I can only go by my friends experiences over the past few months and I gotta say I'm not impressed. ... For example: They fixed the radio once under warranty but didnt put the fairing back together right causing it to start coming apart while riding.. Once during a service they didnt latch the saddle bag mount properly causing it to come off during a road trip and break the exhaust cross-over (Both of these should have been caught by both the tech AND the rider to be fair).

Another time, he got a rock in his belt.. Tried to get one from Renegade and they didnt have it in stock. Wanted 100$ to get it there overnight. They did find one in stock 120 miles south but my friend had to go get it. While they didnt really do anything wrong here they could have had a big win with a customer by sending a part runner out to grab the belt... Not an uncommon thing - When I worked for Ford theyd do it quite often.

I do know exactly what you mean about "he said she said" and Im trying to stay objective for sure but it all doesnt leave me feelin fuzzy about our local. Like ya said... its all subjective to the grapevine theory, but I do trust my friend to tell the truth even if some things might get blown out of proportion. I do feel like they took great care of ME on the front side of my deal... Havnt had reason to have any other experience with them as of yet.

Originally Posted by lynnsg
i'd let the friend worry about it. Keep ya from getting a new *** ripped on here. Lol
Psft Pleease! Im not so sensitive I cant take alittle Trolololol to help out a friend. lmao

Originally Posted by harleybass
the bike was a used bike, could be the warranty is not a "genuine harley" warranty. A lot of dealers will sell you some second rate, aftermarket warranty, just to give you that "warm fuzzy feeling of security", so you'll buy the bike.

When it comes down to getting the work done, it has to be cleared with "the underwriter of the policy", all it is, is an insurance policy on your motorcycle!

A lot of dealerships use these plans when the vehicle doesn't qualify for the original manufacturers warranty.

I bought a new camaro last year and the gm dealer tried to sell me an aftermarket warranty instead of the gm extended warranty. I couldn't believe it. Come to find out the dealer and the salesman get paid commission on everyone they sell, and they make more $ than what they make selling a gm warranty!!! Go figure! It's always the $$$$$$
From my experience working for Ford I can say this kinda thing is 100% true for car dealers and I'm sure 100% true of used bikes from Harley. As a ex-saleman I've seen some huge "backside-deal incentives" on used Ford done just this way ^^^

Originally Posted by wide_open
how can they estimate the cost of the repair at $1500 or guess the warranty may not cover it when it hasn't even hit the lift yet?
Originally Posted by big_al47
exactly
That ^^ lol. Although we all nearly knew what was wrong when i said "Rattle on cam side of engine".

Originally Posted by skratch
not so easy to do around here. We don't have a plethora of dealers in la. 2hrs up the road, or 2hrs down the road is the closest we got....
Yup.. exactly right. Here in Alexandria we have Blue Bayou in Monroe (90miles north) and Cajun Harley in Lafayette (120 miles south)

Last edited by onemyndseye; 07-11-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:26 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First things first. Customers do not set the timeline. The timeline is set by work in the shop, parts availability, available techs, paperwork, and sometimes need. If you need a ride while you get your bike fixed then It is your problem unless you have a arrangement. The warranty issue should not be an issue if the owner has it in writing. The price on the cam issue actually sounds about right if not a little on the low side. Ranting and raving doesn't get much done and definitely doesn't get the work down faster.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:49 AM
onemyndseye
Tourer

Well great news!!!

Talked to my friend this evening and he is out tripping on his '12 Ultra rental while they are 100% fixing his RG with documented details that IF more trouble occurs with this engine while in warranty that it will be replaced with a Harley certified refurb.

Renegade really came through for him in the end I must say.. even if it was looking alittle sketchy at 1st. Im reaaaaaally relieved to hear this both for my friend and the local riders here. As others stated our dealer choices are slim..

Anyways - thanks for the input and putting up with some mild panic.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 AM
dylder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your bud has ever thought about changing cams, now is the time. He should just need to pay for whatever cam he wants and the warranty will cover everything to install it. This spring I had a problem in the bottom of the engine that was covered, I had them put in Andrews 26a for just the price of the cams. But he will need to make that decision quick.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:41 AM
onemyndseye
Tourer

Yeah I had the same thought and discussed it with him.. but in the end he's a putter and it didnt interest him as much as holding on to the extra 400$

Great advice though!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Totally Bored
Road Captain

Don't understand the need to prematurely trash a dealership ?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:30 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Totally Bored
Don't understand the need to prematurely trash a dealership ?
Plus 1 .. maybe my dealer is the exception.. but like someone else said, timelines are set by the demands placed on the service dept from all their customers.. I understand that going in, I also make it a point to talk to the service guys.. I don't demand, I ask respectfully.. and I make it known that I appreciate their efforts.. in return for that respect, I have yet to deal with any unwanted surprises. So far at least, they've taken great care of us, including a few emergencies without any issues at all. I once even had my bike moved to "the front of the line" as a thank you for not being a dick. It ain't a perfect world by any means but, respect and honesty go a long way. And the other side of that coin is.. for as well as we've been treated.. guess where our first stop is for pretty much anything Harley Davidson. I'm sure they are aware of that too but it's cool, as far as I'm concerned, that's how it's supposed to work.

Cheers
mav

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 07-17-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

This seems to fit the 'ol Accusation On the Front Page, Retraction On the Back Page model.

Quick Reply: Looks like another dealer horror story .. :/