General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like another dealer horror story .. :/

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:40 AM
onemyndseye
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Looks like another dealer horror story .. :/

Well here we go ....

A good friend of mine has a 2005 RG that he purchased from our local dealership, Renegade Harley, about 8 months ago...

a week or so ago it developed a nasty rattle in the bottom end of the motor on the cam side. Suspecting either a failed cam chain tensioner or cam bushings he took it in to the dealer for repair under the 2 year warranty that he PURCHASED with his bike.

When he delivered his bike he explained that his bike was his primary transportation but that his wife was off work for the next 3-4 days. The person at desk told him that it shouldnt be a issue but if they needed to keep it longer than 3 days they would put him on a bike until his was fixed.

All sounds great... until. After 3 days of not hearing from the service department he decided to check on progress and found that his bike was still in the holding area and had not been touched.

Not only that.. after requesting the service manager he was told it would be atleast monday (This was friday, day 3) before it would even hit a lift and at that time they could determine the problem and *IF* it would be covered under warranty. If not covered he estimated that it could cost 1500$+ for the repair.

When pressed for what the warranty WOULD cover this guy gave my friend a big run-around saying something about oil leaks and such and that "its hard to say what is covered because it changes daily depending on the warranty underwriter" ..

.... When he expressed his displeasure at all this the guy looks him right in the face, smiles and says: "Youd been better off to ride it until the motor blew up.. then itd definitely be covered"

If they hold their schedule we'll get more news on the bike later today... Hopefully itll all work out but gloves are coming off in preparation lol. Does anyone have any advice for my friend in fighting this problem?

UPDATE:::: This has been completely resolved thanks to the folks at Renegade Harley

Last edited by onemyndseye; 07-17-2012 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Intermediate
Default dealer problem

if that's the way they do business they won't be around long because word of mouth travels fast. try to talk to the owner or main manager. if they find out about that guy he won't have a job long. he's bad for business. the other possibility is a 44 magnum placed in this man's forehead!!!!! Great motivator

Old 07-09-2012, 03:39 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,590 Likes on 3,075 Posts

It'll probably be covered. The Service guy says that to everyone just in case there would be a warranty issue, so you'd have been forewarned.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 AM
Harryinny
Tourer

I got the warranty thats for 5 years, life of the loan. The terms of whats covered do not change. If its internal and its something that isnt suppose to break under normal conditions, and the bike has had its service intervals recorded, then yah Its gonna be covered. Read the contract, if its a part thats supposeto be covered(somewhere around 125 engine parts alone) then dont worry, if they breach the contract then you will win, and it will cost him a lousy fileing fee and a day off from work.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:25 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by onemyndseye
If they hold their schedule we'll get more news on the bike later today... Hopefully itll all work out but gloves are coming off in preparation lol. Does anyone have any advice for my friend in fighting this problem?
Umm "the gloves are coming off in preparation"?? Yeah, my advice is to not be a dick to the service manager. Hell, other than the scheduling thing (which, we should all expect anyway) they haven't done anything wrong yet. So, why is "your friend" getting all fired up?

Better just to stay cool, even if it turns out not to be warranty. I have a service business and nothing slows a job down quicker than someone giving me unnecessary attitude.

the other possibility is a 44 magnum placed in this man's forehead!!!!! Great motivator
Why even say **** like this?? You KNOW it would never happen and it just makes you sound like an immature jerk, IMO.

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 07-09-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Umm "the gloves are coming off in preparation"?? Yeah, my advice is to not be a dick to the service manager. Hell, other than the scheduling thing (which, we should all expect anyway) they haven't done anything wrong yet. So, why is "your friend" getting all fired up?

Better just to stay cool, even if it turns out not to be warranty. I have a service business and nothing slows a job down quicker than someone giving me unnecessary attitude.

Why even say **** like this?? You KNOW it would never happen and it just makes you sound like an immature jerk, IMO.

For once I have to agree with ABSG.........

I have seen 1st hand that service department bend over backwards to help people with their motorcycles.

Onemyndseye, not sure who your buddy talked to at the dealer. I suggest he have a chat with the service manager.

Although, at this point it's a he said, he said kinda thing, nobody but the original people in the conversation really know what went on.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 29342
if that's the way they do business they won't be around long because word of mouth travels fast. try to talk to the owner or main manager. if they find out about that guy he won't have a job long. he's bad for business. the other possibility is a 44 magnum placed in this man's forehead!!!!! Great motivator

Yes, because murdering someone will magically get the guy's bike fixed and let everyone live happily ever after.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

I guess the concensus is you go in there with your tail between your legs like a big *****, and when they bend over you say "Please sir, may I have another?"

Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Welllllllllllllllllllllll......................now if we can only find someone who gives a flying crap.Maybe the moron with the .44 mag suggestion.Must be a mean **** and a bad go-getta'.........you know,.......... "Biker".

Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This isn't a dealer horror story.

Quick Reply: Looks like another dealer horror story .. :/