General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Virginia Purple Heart Motorcycle Plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Sethcat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Virginia Purple Heart Motorcycle Plate

Anybody out there know if Virginia offers purple heart motorcycle license plate?

As of right now I think the answer is no. On the Virginia DMV website, when you look at all the military plates, they specify which ones are for motorcycle... there is not one for purple heart.

When I tried to order my VA purple heart plate and I input my title number and last 4 of the vin, the website told me I couldn't display the purple heart plate on my vehicle.

Just curious is anyone knows/ has heard anything different.

thanks!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:09 PM
gonzo3426
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, just the regular MC plate and HOG plate...no PH.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 PM
billfitt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's a link to what is available in VA

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehi...asp?category=M

Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM
HeadBeagle
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

move to Montana . I have one on my plate. Seriously it sucks they don't and thanks for your service.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still on active duty and originally from Missouri. I have a Purple Heart plate from Missouri where my vehicles are registered. Right now I'm in Florida and thought about transferring the registration but they don't over any custom plates for bikes except for one that has a three color slash design. They claim there isn't enough space on a motorcycle plate to fit a Purple Heart design. Oddly enough a bunch of other states like Missouri managed to figure it out.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Sethcat
Anybody out there know if Virginia offers purple heart motorcycle license plate?
They do not. A Purple Heart auto license plate, yes. But not a motorcycle plate.

They have 16 motorcycle plates - http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/exec/veh...es/results.asp

Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Sethcat
Cruiser

thanks for the reply guys. Ya that's what I figured. I'd been all over the va dmv website. I was just hoping that someone was gonna say, ya they have them you just have to physically go to the dmv or something like that.

As for a state claiming they can't fit a purple heart on a plate, you're right, plenty of other states have purple heart motorcycle plates. I have TN PH plates on my other bike.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for your service. Get a mro to start a campaign or hell Rolling Thunder would be perfect to get something rolling.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Sethcat
Cruiser

Hey guys, good news. I emailed the VA Dept of Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security around the time I started this post yesterday evening. When I got to work this morning I had an email that I was cc'd on from the office I emailed to the DMV and this email from the DMV sitting in my inbox this morning.

Capt.,

I’m happy to report that we have a Purple Heart motorcycle plate in the approval stage. It should be available to the public sometime in the next 30 days.

As to why we don’t have one already: we typically don’t produce special motorcycle plates unless and until there is a request for a particular existing design. As soon as we know there is interest, we develop the plate. In this case, we received a request late last year.

I hope that answers your questions; please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you for your service,
Matt

Matthew Wells
Senior Policy Analyst
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Thanks for all your replies to this post guys.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

^^^ Fantastic!

Quick Reply: Virginia Purple Heart Motorcycle Plate