General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LRS Ultra vs. Flat Top

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Bagger71
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LRS Ultra vs. Flat Top

I currently have a Memphis Shades 7". I like the half tint idea that hides the back of a T-bag and the clear at the top for night if I want to get behind the shield a little more.

I'm looking at something with a recurve to get the wind up over my head a little more when I ride in a state that requires a helmet. I get so much turbulence with a helmet on that my eyes feel like they are being bobbled around like pinballs. Without a helmet my current shield is fine.

Looking for some input on the LRS Ultra vs. Flat Top. I'm not a big fan of changing windshields often so want one that will work year round.

Anyone run both of these and have an opinion. I ride 85% solo but when the wife or kids go I would like them to be good as well. I read someone said the Flat Top gets over the passenger a little better. Just not sure I am sold on the look.

Thanks for any input

Old 07-12-2012, 01:12 PM
AcesOverEights
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my flat top. I havent had an ultra on mine, but the wife likes the extra wind protection versus the stock shield. I think it looks good too. Different than most shields. I got the medium tint and its neither too dark nor too light.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM
bamarider
Tourer

I got my flat top a month ago and the look gets better every time I see it. On the performance side it has been great around town. Will hit the highway with it next week going to Sturgis. I got the 10 inch flat top.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:09 PM
michaelm
Tourer

Very happy with a 7" ultra. I'm 5'9"

Old 07-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Bagger71
Tourer

Thanks for the response guys. I am 5'9" as well and my 7" Memphis actually measures 7-1/2" from the top edge of fairing to top of windshield. When I get comfy on a long ride I can still see over it but am looking about 20'-30' in front without looking through.

So if you are to measure from center of screw to the top of the windshield on any LRS in a 7" you should in actuality have about 6" of windshield above the top of your fairing correct?

Old 07-12-2012, 03:59 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife tells me the LRS flattop is the best windshield she as my passenger has ever been behind.
And when momma is happy on the bike she makes me happy off the bike....

Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Bagger71
Tourer

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
My wife tells me the LRS flattop is the best windshield she as my passenger has ever been behind.
And when momma is happy on the bike she makes me happy off the bike....

How do you like it?

Old 07-12-2012, 04:28 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagger71
Thanks for the response guys. I am 5'9" as well and my 7" Memphis actually measures 7-1/2" from the top edge of fairing to top of windshield. When I get comfy on a long ride I can still see over it but am looking about 20'-30' in front without looking through.

So if you are to measure from center of screw to the top of the windshield on any LRS in a 7" you should in actuality have about 6" of windshield above the top of your fairing correct?
More like 6 1/2 - 6 3/4. I would also recommend going an extra size up also. We are able to give the shields the flip up at the top, however this eliminates the bend at the bottom of the Memphis Shades shields which makes the shield sit more upright. Without this, our MS shields lean back a bit and you will lose some of that height due to this. I would recommend an 8" to stay close to what you have on there now.

www.longrideshields.com

Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Bagger71
Tourer

Originally Posted by longrideshields-2
More like 6 1/2 - 6 3/4. I would also recommend going an extra size up also. We are able to give the shields the flip up at the top, however this eliminates the bend at the bottom of the Memphis Shades shields which makes the shield sit more upright. Without this, our MS shields lean back a bit and you will lose some of that height due to this. I would recommend an 8" to stay close to what you have on there now.

Are you saying that the Ultra & Flat Top are layed back the same? I actually would like one to be slightly shorter than what I have now. When I get settled in on a decent ride I tend to get a little more slouched and the Memphis becomes close to being in my line of sight. Seems that several guys in my height range have the 7".

Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Obviously, there has been a great deal of discussion on the topic of windscreens over in the Touring forum, and I recently stumbled upon something that surprised me, but I am now convinced. No matter what windscreen you put on, you will not be able to eliminate the head buffeting. So without getting too long here with my reply, I will tell you that I've put about 10,000 miles on my '07 Ultra since I bought it last July. Most of those miles were in full dress mode, as in 17" shield, detachable fairing wind deflectors, detachable tour-pak and 2-up seat. However I also have a solo seat and 7" LRS Ultra Shield so when the warm weather came in I decided to pull the tour-pak, remove the wing deflectors, open up the vents on the lowers and switch out the shields. So off I go. Immediately regret changing out into the "Street-glide" mode. Head buffeting so bad I could hardly keep my helmet straight on my head. Anyway after reading thru several posts I figured, before I went back to full dress, I could do a simple exercise that many of the Touring guys were touting. So I went back out to the garage, put on the fairing deflectors, closed the lower vents and went for a ride. The difference was night and day. I did 300 miles that day and was not annoyed by buffeting at all. I don't think the vents have as much to do with the buffeting as the wind deflectors but I'm not sure, I will ride this weekend with them open and see what difference if any there is. But I am now a firm believer that, even though I do believe the right shield height plays a significant role in driver comfort, and probably even more so for the passenger, but until you figure out that the head buffeting turbulence does not come from above but rather from the sides and below, you will never completely solve the issue.
My $.o2

Quick Reply: LRS Ultra vs. Flat Top