General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FESS UP! Most embarassing bike moments...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Arihant
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile FESS UP! Most embarassing bike moments...

Thought I would start the ball rolling here...

Early 90's and a pal & I borrowed a buddy's metric. Couldnt afford one ourselves, and were low on safety, high on testosterone.

So after buddy's done, I take the reins, ask him to hop on the pillion & blast off. Was a piddly 125cc Yam, but managed to coax it up to 75mph...plenty fast for riding 2 up in jeans n tees.

Loved the wind in my hair and the thrill of buzzing the town and doing a coupla wheelies. Ah, youth.

So, am going for about 20 mins and talking to my bud all the while when I suddenly realize that he aint sayin much..in fact he is silent as the proverbial grave! I glance back, and sure enough, NO FRICKIN PILLION RIDER!

Have a series of heart attacks, gag by the side of the road, and eyes brimming with tears unshed for a young life discarded like an old sock, retrace my route.

Takes about 3X the time, and every stain on the road or a bunch of people yakkin gives me a coronary and visions of being bitch slapped by all families concerned.

Finally reach my starting point and....see my buddy spitting vinegar & sitting on the pavement. After being brought around with smelling salts & liberal doses of Pink Floyd, I asked if he fell off and started jibbering apologies & kissin his feet.

Turns out he hadnt managed to get on at all...he went back, swung a leg high to board and I zipped off from under him.

Never lived it down...getting to be nearly 20 years and the story/legend has grown with all sorts of embellishments...the worst un being "if thats how ya do bikes, how d'ya do yer women"...and so it goes..

Soooo...lets hear your tales of woe...consider this one a warmup!

Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,765 Likes on 4,675 Posts

thats pretty funny!!

Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,765 Likes on 4,675 Posts

Oh and by the way NOTHING has ever happened to me!!!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Arihant
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
Oh and by the way NOTHING has ever happened to me!!!
Define "Nothing"

Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

I was on a poker run once with about 6 friends. We all pulled up to a gas station to refuel. So I hit the kill switch and put it in neutral. I start to dismount the bike, and a rider behind me starts to pull up next to me.

Well as I am getting off something doesn't feel right. the bike is starting to lean pretty far. Just then i realized the kickstand isn't down. Well, i nearly dropped my bike on my friends bike. Luckily he noticed me dropping the bike and held back just a i gently lay the bike on the ground. The entire group got a real kick out of this. I did not.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an '85 Honda 550 Interceptor and one day decided to leap frog over the rear wheel and pillion onto the rider's seat like the cowboys do in the movies. I have no idea why I thought this was a good idea. Well I actually made it but when I landed in the seat the bike bounced up and over. I was laughing my butt off and the bike was well used and nothing broke so no harm done.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:35 AM
LynnSG
Road Captain

When I had my black 07 SG I walked out of a Harley Shop in North Wilksboro NC and hopped on someone elses bike. As soon as I sat down it hit me that it wasnt mine. I hopped off and looked around real quick just like someone does when they fall.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,536 Likes on 1,626 Posts

1969 BSA 750 Rocket III.....
My (younger) cousin came by apartment one morning needing a ride.

We got on my bike (which was backed into the curb) and I proceeded to make a left turn and onto my street when I realized that I had NOT unlocked the handlebars!
Had it just been me on the bike, it wouldn't have been a problem as I was moving so slowly, but with him also on the bike falling over was.......inevitable!

We don't think anyone saw us so no harm, no foul!

OH, BTW:
Somewhere near 1990, after owning a '87 FXSTC for about two years, I dropped by the local H-D shop and walked up to the parts counter where a guy who I had know for 15 years or so, and asked him one of the dumbest questions that I have ever asked anyone in my entire life.
I said "Tom, how can you get a defective gas cap off of a fat-bob tank"?
He looked at me and asked what model and year of bike, and which tank, left or right?
I said "Tom, it's the left tank".
He very calmly replies (while grinning) "XXXX, that gas cap has a left-hand thread".
After nearly TWO years of owning that bike, and only filling up the right tank, I'm told this!

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 07-16-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:12 AM
rdb1976
Road Master

I test-rode an Ultra at a H-D Demo Event. We all rode in a pack and pulled back in after the ride. I backed the beast in and flipped the kickstand out, hit the killswitch, started leaning the bike over...and over...and over onto the engine & saddlebag guards. The guy next to me looks at me like I'm nuts before we both realized the kickstand was sitting on the pavement about 4 feet in front of the bike.

I am forever immortalized as 'the guy that broke and dropped the Ultra' at their Demo Events.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 AM
torchman
Road Master

I was 17 and livin in CA. Came pullin into a local arcade big teen hang out back then. Lots of pretty gals standin around out front, so I figured I`d impress some of the ladies so when I hit the first speed bumb I pulled a wheelie and shot across the entire parking lot untill I hit the 2nd speed bump on the other side and dumped er hard. Busted the blinkers off one side and a side panel and mirror. Busted up my pride pretty good too. everyone was laughin but a couple gals came over and helped me pick up my parts and mopped the blood off my paw and told me it was cool until I fell. needless to say I was to embaressed to ask for a # so me and my beat to hell pride rode off into the sunset as cool as can be. Atleast that was what I was tellin myself at the time. LOL

Quick Reply: FESS UP! Most embarassing bike moments...