General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your earliest recolection of bikers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:58 PM
bosnmate
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What's your earliest recolection of bikers?

ORIGINAL: dastark

Well this is fun. Great stories everyone. Keep 'em comming.bosnmate & punisher, sorry for your losses. bosnmate, I see your from MI. Don't know if you know but there's a custom bike show at the Birch Run Expo Center this weekend. Fun show. Mainly nice bikes instead of the usual swap meet stuff. Last year I met Arlen & Cory Ness.
Keyword being FROM Michigan. I now live Georgia, but thanks for the info, I will pass it on to my brother in law.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:08 PM
stubby
Road Captain

After the Korean war. Brooklyn, NY. Sitting on the fire escape, summer. Three guys across the street. One wearing a silk, japan jacket with a map of Korea on the back. All three were pushing a bobber like chopper down the street until it turned over.
The bike I remember like yesterday was my mom taking me to see Gone with the Wind. In front of the movie house there was a black dresser with leather saddle bags with fringes and a studded saddle.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:34 PM
mcb
Tourer

Camping in about 1971. We had our camp set up and left for a while.came back and found that the metal water bowl for the dog was missing. Camp site next to us had a group of bikers, maybe 8 total not icluding the women. Mom had noticed they had the dog bowl. as soon as Dad saw they had it , he walked right over. Mom made us stay put and sit on the picnic table. Dad pointed to the bowl and they laughed a little. Pointed again and walked up to one of them and said something. A second later one of them walked over got the bowl and handed it over to him. He stayed and talked to them for a little bit then came back. Mom was worried that something else was going to happen because of their looks. Dad said "Don't worry, they can't be that bad,they are all riding Harleys". Dad was a WWII vet qand had a bar in Detroit for 20 years, never saw him take any BS from anyone. I always asked him about HD bikes as a kid.He never had one, but rode a few when he came back form the war. Always said they were the only bike that could go cross country!

Old 01-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Trash Rat
Road Captain

When I was young,(mid 60s),my oldest sister dated a guy that rode a Harley, & my dad didn't much like him. I thought he was the coolest guy ever. Kind of a James Dean type. From the leather jacket to the ducktail hair style. He let me sit on his bike & I was in "HOG" heaven. Wanted one ever since.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:24 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

picture of mom and dad on his 30 somthing indian leathers and leather full coverage hat some day I'll scan that pic and post it been riding ever since I got out of the navy but really had a indian back in high school never rode it and don;t know what happened to it but that was 50 years ago and I have crs sometimes all my kids ride something so I guess it's a inherited thing

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/9615489EA05B41F1854A4643AC1213C5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-17-2007, 01:56 AM
ridgerunner
Tourer

When I was about about 5 years old in 1954 in Folcroft Pa, we lived in an apartment near a railroad station. There was a hoagie (sandwich) shop between thestation and our apartment. I remember "big guys" / teenagers I guess, parking motorcycles out front at the shop and I was taken by the huge seats on the bikes. I remember sitting on the bikes and nobody telling me to get the hell off...like I would today.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:06 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

When I was 5 or 6 one of Father's friends pulled into our driveway on a Hog.We lived on a dirt road,when he left, he tore the road up,it seemed like forever.Then I discovered a Sears catalog with the Allstate motorcycles.When I turned 14, I bought my first Harley, 1937 EL for $35.00.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:49 AM
dynamolowrider
Tourer

when i was about 9 years old my brother was 15 and got his first basket case from a biker neighbori remember going to walmart yes walmart to get the tires and chain and my brother was a littel short on cash and the neighbor pitched in to help. also when he firerd it up for the first time and took it up the alley there was afew of them and they all had smiles as big as my brother.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 7,808 Likes on 4,130 Posts

LOL, cause I first read your thread that you were young when you were in yourmid 60's, and your OLDER sister was dating a biker with James Dean looks (what a woman!) and your even older father didn't like the dude, and you in your 60's were allowed to sit on his bike! Then I had my morning coffee and Jelly Bellys and the '60s' became much clearer.

Would have made a good trailer for a movie
ORIGINAL: Trash Rat

When I was young,(mid 60s),my oldest sister dated a guy that rode a Harley, & my dad didn't much like him. I thought he was the coolest guy ever. Kind of a James Dean type. From the leather jacket to the ducktail hair style. He let me sit on his bike & I was in "HOG" heaven. Wanted one ever since.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:07 PM
dmlong
Tourer

From when I was 8 or so we had a guy nicknamed Bigfoot living across the street. He was a member of the Bandidos and his house was always full of bikers.
My friends and I would always hang out over there and were treated like members of the family,Bigfoot is the guy that set me up with my 1st H-D('55 K-model)and I later bought my '61 FL from another one of his buddies.
Great bunch of people!

Quick Reply: What's your earliest recolection of bikers?