General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley House Calls Just Called

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:28 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 23,708 Likes on 5,244 Posts
Default Harley House Calls Just Called

For those of you who don't know, Harley House Calls (harleyhousecalls.com), located in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, consists of one extremely skilled Harley mechanic, Jimmie, and a fully equipped bike shop/van. You call and make an appointment (don't try email--he doesn't check it), he comes to your house exactly on time and does the job. Today it was the 10,000 mile service on my '06 FLSTCI. In addition, he installed a pre-programmed Power Commander I had purchased from FuelMoto (fuelmotousa.com).

All in all, it took him 2.5 hours for everything and cost a total of $325 -- not the cheapest, but among the best. And, you can talk the guy's ear off, ask anything you want, and pull up a stool and watch him work (since he's in your garage or driveway).

The interesting thing today was the effect of the Power Commander. I had the Stage 1 download and air filter, and Rush slipons with 1.75" baffles. The bike ran well, but there were a couple of flat spots during acceleration and LOUD popping during deceleration under load. Also, the plugs, which were changed as part of the 10K service, indicated a lean condition. After he installed the Power Commander, guess what. Pulls like a champ, and NO popping during deceleration whatsoever.

I had debated getting the PC as I don't plan any extensive engine modifications. However, I'm glad I went for it, as it has smoothed out the engine's performance considerably. Tomorrow (it's drizzly and windy out here today) I'll take her out for a 100-mile ride and check to see whether the gas mileage has deteriorated much as a result of the richer running.

Anyway, I wish everyone could have such a professionally satisfying motorcycle service experience as I had today.

Usual disclaimers apply!

Philip

Old 01-17-2007, 07:37 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Harley House Calls Just Called

Does he service the O.C. area?

Old 01-17-2007, 07:44 PM
harleygold
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda wish we something like that in local area... I've not heard of such a service.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:58 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

ORIGINAL: jbnl163

Does he service the O.C. area?
No, not yet. He was talking about setting up a "branch" in O.C., but his big issue is how to maintain qulaity control.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:27 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Philip

All in all, it took him 2.5 hours for everything and cost a total of $325 -- not the cheapest, but among the best. And, you can talk the guy's ear off, ask anything you want, and pull up a stool and watch him work (since he's in your garage or driveway).
That by itself can be worth way more than what you paid. I knew a guy like that in Hawaii once. He rethreaded my jugs where the spark plug goes. Don't ask!

Old 01-17-2007, 08:33 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I hads an appt scheduled with him, but i ended up getting his brother in law, a friend of mine come here to help me out as well. It is a little pricey as you are paying for convenience. Glad to hear you had a good experience. If anyone needs a certified Harley mechanic who comes to your house, I can get you his number. He can only work on the weekends if I remember correctly as he works at the dealership onthe other days...

Old 01-17-2007, 08:46 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We have a guy on San Diego. I think he advertises in Quick Throttle[8D]

Old 01-17-2007, 09:48 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

ORIGINAL: anubisss

He can only work on the weekends if I remember correctly as he works at the dealership onthe other days...
No, he doesn't work at any dealership now. Available Monday through Saturday. He isn't that pricey, really. You pay him about the same as you would pay at a dealer, but that's where any comparison of one experience with the other ends.

BTW, love your girl's Sporty!

Philip

Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 PM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

$325 for a 10,000 mile service and a P.C. install...........I think that's pretty
cheap. Especially considering he does this in your driveway. How long does
this guy book for service.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:29 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

ORIGINAL: mikec

$325 for a 10,000 mile service and a P.C. install...........I think that's pretty
cheap. Especially considering he does this in your driveway. How long does
this guy book for service.
I agree, it really isn't that much. I called around to a couple of local dealers just to ask, and they were quoting around $400 (!) for the 10K service. The guy books out anywhere from a few days to a week. And when he says 10 am, that van's backing up the driveway at exactly 10 am. He's interesting to watch as well. First thing out of the van is 2 folding tables; then toolboxes; then he lays out the parts he'll be using (oil, plugs, etc); everything with a kind of military precision. Works the same way: very quick, very organized. He's done all my service and installs except the 1000 mile service, which was free as part of the purchase. Next is changing out all cables to stainless, which he quoted at $200 (not including the cables, of course!). He also does complete engine rebuilds.

Philip

Quick Reply: Harley House Calls Just Called