General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle GPS...any difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Motorcycle GPS...any difference?

I'm in the market for a GPS for my bike. I use Google Maps on my cell phone all the time, I have NO sense of direction. I've tried using it on the bike but can't see the screen at all in the sun.

From my search for this subject I found that Garmin is the most often recommended. Is there any difference in the Motorcycle and car versions? I'm mostly concerned about seeing the screen, especially if mounted on the bars. I know I can listen to the direction but I like to see the map of what's ahead. Someone told me the motorcycle version has a brighter screen or is designed for outdoor use. Right or just BS?

Thanks for any guidance!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:33 PM
riden2low
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They made for the outdoors plus water proof if you get caught in rain but I have seen a lot of guys use the car type. So it really is how much money you want spend. I run the Zumo 550 with the Xm antenna.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 PM
gregfri
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used a car version on my bike for several years with no problems. I paid under a hundred bucks for my Garmin, as compared to about four or five hundred for the bike version. I take mine off in heavy downpours, but have driven in rain many times, even forgot to take it off while washing the bike once or twice, with no ill effects. My thinking is that I can buy several car units for the price of one bike unit, but so far it is working great. The bike unit has some nice features so if money is not an object I would buy the bike unit

Old 08-02-2012, 03:02 AM
edtompkins
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Zumo 220 (the smallest Garmin MC gps and also the least amount of features) and it is the same as the Garmin Nuvi 500. Both are the same -> same size, both waterproof, can upload customs routes. Since I have an FXDC, I wanted to keep the form factor small. There is at least $150 difference in price between the Zumo 220 and Nuvi 500 (the Nuvi is much less expensve). I don't listen to the gps, mostly use to upload custom routes for trips. Works great for what my needs.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:27 AM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain

I have been using a Nuvi 255 (car version) in a ram mount on the handle bars of my RKC since 2009 in all kinds of weather and have had little to no problems. And that was because the Gilsson power wire I hard wired into the aux switch got a little moisture in the end when I washed it to put the bike away for several months and it got a little bit of green gunk in it, cleaned up with some white vinegar and no problems since. All together I have less than $200 in the unit, the mount / wires and lifetime map updates. Works for me. If I had a bike with a batwing I might consider the larger screen units, but with the lines of the RKC I wanted to stay with a smaller unit that didn't detract from the looks of the bike.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:41 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

I have used the garmin zumo 550 for the last two years. Easy to see and is waterproof. Had the ram mount that fastens to the clutch bracket works great. Just purchased a new bike that comes with the 660. Looking to sell the zumo 550 if you are interested send me a pm.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:36 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Garmin Zumo, and do I ever wish I still had the TomTom unit I used to have!

TomToms are absolutely superior, both in terms of ease of use and the speed of the processors inside. I can't tell you how many times I've missed a turn while the Garmin unit... decides... if it's... going to redraw... the map... as I go around a corner.

Seriously - seek out a TomTom unit to compare.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:52 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I use a car GPS (Tom Tom) or my iPhone. I have a Ram mount that has a holder for each. I enjoy just leaving my house early Saturday or Sunday morning and just ride aimlessly to wherever my heart desires. After a few hours a usually have no idea where I am; enter GPS and home I go.

Like Pee Wee Herman I'm a loner, a rebel. I just hope my bike doesn't end up in the basement of the Alamo.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:56 AM
ga.mason
Cruiser

Try the Rand Mcnally GPS. Theyre usually free at the welcome centers and Ive NEVER had on break on me. They are the most reliable thing out there. And they dont take up much room. Nobody will ever steal it either.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Garmin Zumo 220 as well. After using it on a trip to a major metropolitan area, I am unsure I would purchase it again if I had it to do over. It may be a robust unit & small enough to tuck in your back pocket, but it is slow to engage and slow to re-calculate.

For example, I have been in a hotel parking lot, turn it on, and it shows me to go to the adjacent street. When I go there and turn on to the street, it may be four blocks away before it shows me the next turn and/or gives me a voice prompt. By then it can be too late. In a city where turns can come close together, it thinks too slowly resulting in too many missed turns and then it re-calculates too slowly after that.

I wish I would have bought something else.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle GPS...any difference?