General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 1,000 mile oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:09 AM
offshore
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First 1,000 mile oil change

Boy did I get a surprise! Manual says you must bring the bike in for the 1st 1k oil change....Ok, I make an apoint. for mine and my wifes,...445.00 for mine. 3hrs labour @ 92.00 Parts 118.00, Picking my wifes sporty up today, I guess it'll be around the same. That's 1,000 bucks and the long weekend just started....ride safe...

Old 08-03-2012, 07:22 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

118$ for parts? Wow. I don't know what my local dealer charges as they have never serviced my bike, but I would figure the manual and buying the parts myself is much cheaper.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Clean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do your own maintenance, I've been doing all my maintenance for over 35 years and i've never voided any Warranties. With this said, it cost me 75$ dollars to perform my 1000 mile check-up.

Last edited by Clean; 08-06-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:02 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a lesson a lot of new Harley owners learn but quick.

For the cost of what your 5K would cost (for one bike) you could get yourself a couple of torque wrenches, good ones, and the service manual and still have enough leftover to keep you in cheesecake and scones for your next weekend adventure.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I had my 500 mile service done at the dealer because it was already paid for as a part of the bike purchase, somewhere in the $250-$300 range. I do all of my regular maintenance, but I preferred for them to do that 500 for the same reason that I took my ride in for the 10K service: they go over the bike top to bottom, making sure everything is torqued to spec, tight, inspected, etc. What they did in three hours would have taken me all day (I work slowly when in unfamiliar territory), so it was worth every penny to me.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say if doing the maintenance takes you all day you are probably better off going to the dealer. I don't recall it ever taking me more then two hours, and that includes beer breaks.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:17 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso
I had my 500 mile service done at the dealer because it was already paid for as a part of the bike purchase, somewhere in the $250-$300 range.
Do you mean the 1K service?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did my 5k service last weekend. Total cost was about $70 (using Mobil 1 20/50 Synthetic)and took me, who did this for the first time and is not a wrench, about 3 hours.... and that is with taking breaks.

Go to Harbor Freight, grab a $19.99 ft/lb and in/lb torque wrenches, along with the correct allen wrenches and you are still out the door for a little over $100. The BEST thing is, you KNOW everything was done RIGHT per the manual. Also, if you can't buy the manual, there are various places you can d/l a PDF version. Just follow the instructions and if you have questions ask here.... just like I did. People here love to help those that wrench on their owns scoots.

Last edited by ghoticov; 08-03-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:21 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,218 Likes on 2,466 Posts

Originally Posted by offshore
Boy did I get a surprise! Manual says you must bring the bike in for the 1st 1k oil change...
actually, it's very clever wording. the manual doesn't say that you have to take your bike to the dealer for the service. just that you must do the service, and to call your dealer for an appt. these copy editors and lawyers make some big money to make it say something that it doesn't explicitly say.

if the moco were to force you to have the dealer do all your service, using only hd parts, then according to the magnuson moss warranty act, they would have to cover the cost for you.

$445 for a 1k service is highway robbery. hell, i thought the two hundred something my dealer charges was outrageous. what dealer was that? oh, and while you're there picking your bike up after being raped, er... serviced, take a look at the board on the wall and make note of how much the 5k, 10k, 15k, services are. then we'll see you at sears later

Old 08-03-2012, 10:21 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso
I had my 500 mile service done at the dealer because it was already paid for as a part of the bike purchase, somewhere in the $250-$300 range. I do all of my regular maintenance, but I preferred for them to do that 500 for the same reason that I took my ride in for the 10K service: they go over the bike top to bottom, making sure everything is torqued to spec, tight, inspected, etc. What they did in three hours would have taken me all day (I work slowly when in unfamiliar territory), so it was worth every penny to me.
Heh Heh.....thats what they like you to think. Techs are given their work assignments first thing in the morning and are paid by the book rated times for the task. If they take to much time they may not get everything assigned to them done.....eats into their paycheck....motivates them to work "faster".
Its damn near criminal what dealerships charge for routine maintenance work. Get the manual and some tools and do it yourself and KNOW what is done.

Quick Reply: First 1,000 mile oil change