General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans leak on 77 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,993 Likes on 17,500 Posts

Originally Posted by slyder
I impacted it on. So it should be good. Hes going to have me tear into it this winter and do the bushing cause there was some play in it. Hes rebuilding everything but just wanted it to stop leaking for now. Took it for a spin when i was done..........what a fricken tank! That thing did not like turning. Straight line was nice and smooth but you had to truck drive that baby thru the corners. Oh and im spoiled with my EFI Road King..........kicking this thing wore me OUT. I weight 213 lbs and I had to put every damn pound in it! Fun though....just cant get that sound from an Twinky.
Yah those old wide glides took men to handle them sometimes , now you why us old schoolers give you twinkie guys so much crap for being pussies

On the serious side that front end should not be that tight or hard to maneuver honestly , look to see if it has the old hand **** steering damper under the lower tree if not I'd be checking the head bearings in a hurry . They will feel a bit on the fat or heavy side but you shouldn't have to manhandle it , somethings off there .

Old 08-08-2012, 07:23 AM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the front end flops over pretty easy when its on a jack. I mentioned it to him and he didnt seem concerned.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 AM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by logdon17
this is why i love this forum, the most random issue and there will always be someone who can give you helpful insight. kudos to you boys who know shovels!
yeah with all the evos and twinkies out there these old bikes are getting to be a lost art. I was even surprised to see the dealership had the parts for it. Cheap too! I bought all the seals and gaskets for the trans and think it was like $20.