General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've Noticed People Asking For Winter Storage Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Mark_H
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Why would a person plug in a battery tender year round. Makes no sense. Unless they only ride monthly but even
then the battery won't discharge unless there is a problem somewhere.
I'm still on the stock battery in mine. Since 08 anyways. When I pack it up for winter I plug in my battery tender and
don't touch the bike til spring.
Simple,and doesn't seem to be affecting my battery. And my bike is stored in an unheated garage
I agree, and these guys do ride daily. One of them swears it makes his batteries last longer and the other guy...well lets just say if the first one said it felt good to stick his dick in a fan....the other one would be in line to buy a fan.

I've never had a battery not last long enough for me to even remember when I bought it excluding new ones that came with a new bike.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:24 PM
The Biscuit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like more opinions on changing fluids after winter or end of season for storage...anyone have advice?

Old 09-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Biscuit
i would like more opinions on changing fluids after winter or end of season for storage...anyone have advice?
Used oil has a higher acid content due to the combustion process. This can lead to some deteriation of internal metal parts of the engine. I change the oil on my last ride of the year knowing I will be good to go come spring time. I also use a battery tender for the winter months and top up the fuel and add stabilizer. Doesn't cost any extra except for the 3 bucks for the stabyl.

cheers

Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OU812
Gas does not have much of a shelf life, will go bad quick. 2 months max after that your taking a big chance.................
We had a Chev truck sit in the yard for AT LEAST 2 years...never turned a wheel and was never started. One day the mechanic went and turned the key to see if it was operational. Guess what. It started and ran fine after turning over for about 5 seconds. No stabilizer in the gas either. Guess 2009 gas was better quality.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Drashin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Alberta we can expect 5 months of the cold stuff, which makes winter storage important. I store mine in a shed for the winter, I add Sta-bil to the fuel (not sure if it makes a difference but for the cost why not). Wax all the painted items and polish the chrome. Plug in a battery tender and put and a cover and the first warm day in the spring I shovel a path to the shed to get it out. I like to start spring with fresh oil, give the bike a good once over look for anything that need attention and check the tires for proper pressures.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 AM
TheRooster
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Winter storage> Park it in the barn or garage.

I will generally fire it up and let it idle for 5 or 10 minutes to let the oil circulate, burn some condensation out of the cylinders, and make sure the battery isn't dead. That, and it's cool to pull the choke out and rev it up in a dark barn. . .fire shoots out the pipes.