General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camera when biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:21 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a Panasonic LUMIX, although I forget the model - DMC-L8 or something. I wanted something small enough to fit in a jacket or vest pocket for those quick photo opportunities. It takes amazingly good pictures and uses regular AA batteries available everywhere. I think I gave around $120 for it a couple of years ago. It has optical and digital zoom, and lots of features.

I also have a Canon Powershot II camera that cost me around 4 bills. It's a great camera, but much larger than the Lumix, so I don't carry it as often.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:13 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very simple answer. Get the camera with the highest megapixels you can afford. Buy a known brand name. Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Cannon, etc. Digital cameras are inexpensive. Get a quality Case to carry it in. Always use the wrist strap. Most all digitals wil take video. If you want a dedicated video to use on the bike Go Pro is by far the best option.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,633 Likes on 12,013 Posts

I carry a Panasonic Lumix 14x zoom camera in a tank bag. Easy access, even when riding.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:27 AM
o-townFLA
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jinx1C4
For you guys with GoPros....how do you have yours mounted? I was thinking of getting one and I think I'd have to put it on my engine guard?

Get the "motor sports" package. It includes a suction cup mount and several 3M adhesive mounts. With this package the mounting possibilities are endless...

As for faith in the suction cup mount, I've gone 160mph in my car with the mount and have several other friends that use it with no probs...

Old 10-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Jinx1C4
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by o-townFLA
Get the "motor sports" package. It includes a suction cup mount and several 3M adhesive mounts. With this package the mounting possibilities are endless...

As for faith in the suction cup mount, I've gone 160mph in my car with the mount and have several other friends that use it with no probs...

Old 10-28-2012, 12:35 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,264 Likes on 919 Posts

Canon PowerShot A2200. For less that $100.00. Works great for me.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:59 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have an iPhone 3GS which is just OK (no flash) but I also carry a Nikon CoolPix L3 that will fit in my jacket pocket or I put it in my saddlebag. The Nikon takes better Macro pictures than the iPhone, has an optical and digital zoom and not only takes stills but also has a movie camera mode. It's nothing real fancy but does a good enough job for me.

If I'm doing a professional job, I also have a much bigger Canon SLR with standard and telephoto lens, light filters, and a bunch of other stuff but it requires a big backpack camera bag to carry it all and don't want to have it strapped to my back on the bike all the time.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:53 AM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cameras when cruising

Originally Posted by omaho5
Does anyone out there carry a digital camera in their saddlebags when cruising/ touring.
What type is suggested?
http://www.rei.com/product/753283/pa...fe-100-lanyard

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.169976100

After nearly a half million miles under my *** around the US snapping pics, I recommend wearing the Pacsafe Digisafe Lanyard around your neck connected to a waterproof Kodak Play Sport. If you are an accomplished rider above beginner level and the conditions are right (not in heavy clutch/throttle traffic or riding through the Tail of the Dragon), you can snap all sorts of great shots while riding. I have taken THOUSANDS this way - it's the perfect set up. It is also a video camera. When I last rode around the US for a month with two buds, they stopped about 3 days into the one month trip and bought an identical set-up to mine. I also carry a fancier Sony in the bag with a mini tripod. Note, the Kodak does not have a flash and they are no longer produced but you can still find new ones, unopened in boxes, on-line. Happy hunting.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Radixx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you that mount your cameras, does the vibration blur your shots? I've mounted my camera via ram mounts on the handlebars and unless I shoot at a very high shutter speed or put a lot of pressure on the camera to steady it a lot of my shots are blurred.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I learned a long time ago to look for digital cameras that have both an "eye" viewfinder, as well as the digital screen. In bright sunlight, it's almost impossible for me to see the screen on the cameras or my Droid. I also find I can hold the camera steadier when pressed to my forehead using the eye viewfinder, than holding it out in front of me.

Fuji makes several such cameras with nice telephoto features. My "good" camera is a Fuji Fine Pix, ten megapixal with a 12X zoom. That one stays in the top case until needed, along with a Targus tripod. Fuji has since come out with an even better model with a higher zoom. This camera also has a very good video function with 60 fps speed.

The one I carry in my vest or coat pocket while riding is a an Olympus 5.1 with 5 x zoom and use for those quick snapshots, like when the buffalo at Custer State Park are crossing the road in front of you!

Quick Reply: Camera when biking.