General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get metal particles off paint??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Zedrx
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to get metal particles off paint??????

Rode my bike to the shop today. The idiot in the bay next to me was grinding a bunch of metal in his bay. When he finished he decided to blow out his bay with a leaf blower. Metal particles everywhere!!! All over a few cars and my fricking bike. I thought it was over spray at first. Paint feels like sandpaper. Stuck really good everywhere. The particles on the chrome are already starting to show rust. Has anyone experienced this before? What would be the best way to clean the bike. I'm afraid of getting the bike wet, but obviously I have to wash it. The damn crap is EVERYWHERE!!.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wash it with water gently. The particles should wash off fairly easily. Don't use a powerful spray. Use a mild soap or car wash and the softest cloth you can find after you get the particles rinsed off.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 316 Likes on 181 Posts

Don't wipe them. Maybe a strong magnet or vacuum?

Old 10-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Zedrx
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, I just got off the phone with my insurance agent. I'm not screwing around with this. I'll let them fix it and go after the idiot. There are rust spots all over the primary and the chrome areas. I'm not too concerned with that. I could wash all that off, but the black paint is a bitch.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:48 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Not good..Depends if the shavings were hot when they hit your clear coat.You may have to scuff your clear to get it out then buff it.But if it’s just sitting on top use a blower/wash..If its buried in your clear from being hot take it to a body shop..They will know how to get it out.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 PM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ANy shop working on cars or bikes is required by law to caryy insurance for just this type of crap.
File a claim, Thats what its for.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Zedrx
Actually, I just got off the phone with my insurance agent. I'm not screwing around with this. I'll let them fix it and go after the idiot. There are rust spots all over the primary and the chrome areas. I'm not too concerned with that. I could wash all that off, but the black paint is a bitch.
there ya go!!!!!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

I have seen this on vehicles sitting outside a foundry from the melt furnace or when a grinder was used nearby and hot sparks hit and stuck to the vehicle. But never have I heard of someone blowing metal dust on chrome or aluminum and it sticking and rusting in place....You should dig in to the details to understand how the red hot grit was applied to the paint and metals....most likely more to the story.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:12 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Sounds like the hot sparks landed on the bike.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
I have seen this on vehicles sitting outside a foundry from the melt furnace or when a grinder was used nearby and hot sparks hit and stuck to the vehicle. But never have I heard of someone blowing metal dust on chrome or aluminum and it sticking and rusting in place....You should dig in to the details to understand how the red hot grit was applied to the paint and metals....most likely more to the story.
Why bother? The insurance is taking care of it. I would mention it to foolio that did it in the first place. You don't use compressed air to clean up metal flakes/shavings.

Quick Reply: How to get metal particles off paint??????