General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my EFI bike needs to "warm up"

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 PM
captbom1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my EFI bike needs to "warm up"

I have a 04' Road King TC w/efi . When the bike is on a cold start it needs to "warm up" like a carb bike, runs like **** for a few blocks if I get on and go after a min. Seems to have started when I did a cam change...afraid I might have to spend big bucks that I dont have on a tuner. Am I missing something else it could be ? OBVIOUSLY a motor needs to idle for a min or two but I don't think an efi should take up to 10 minutes to smooth out when outside air is 50 degrees, only does this once in awhile

Last edited by captbom1; 12-14-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: mass confusion!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:45 PM
RoadKing2438
Road Master

Mine is too but not that bad. When I start the bike I just twist the throttle up to about 1500 rpm or so and hold it for a few seconds maybe 10 at the most. After that am good to go. I would like to see what kind of responses you get so consider me subscribed.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:43 PM
paulies 07
Road Captain

I always let my baby warm up for a few minutes before I take off

Old 12-11-2012, 05:27 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,218 Posts

Originally Posted by captbom1
I have a 04' Road King TC w/efi . When the bike is on a cold start it needs to "warm up" like a carb bike, runs like **** for a few blocks if I get on and go. Seems to have started when I did a cam change...afraid I might have to spend big bucks that I dont have on a tuner. Am I missing something else it could be ?
I would think the A/F ratio is not optimum after a cam change without a tuner.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:29 PM
creed0423
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I take off after starting my bike when it's cold, it won't run right for a few blocks. I usually start it and put helmet on and jacket or whatever and she's good to go.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should let your bike warm up anyways. Even more important in colder weather.

So you put a cam in and no tuner? What's the point?

Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
I would think the A/F ratio is not optimum after a cam change without a tuner.
Yep. A cam changes your engine's profile quite a bit and a tune is highly recommended. I'm going to say that not only are you having issues with the engine when it's cold, but you're also probably not getting the most out of those cams after it's warmed up either.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:17 PM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warm-up needed for motors with EFI? Lots of views.....I personally....just can't make myself run a cold motor.....motorcycles, 4-wheelers, lawn mowers.....LOL For Sure Not The Harley.....call me old school...lol

Last edited by speckfisher; 12-11-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Gunnerthedog
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rooti
You should let your bike warm up anyways. Even more important in colder weather.

So you put a cam in and no tuner? What's the point?
Especially up here in Ohio where the OP is from. Hell I let mine run for a minute or 2 even in the summer.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:55 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're jokin right? Why wouldnt you tune after a cam change??

Dont know what you threw in there, but I'd guess that maybe you've changed your intake valve closing time enough to warrant more fuel on warm up? Also especially if your overlap has changed (which is generally a given with a cam change) your scavenging will change which will effect your performance if you dont retune. Excessive overlap can over-scavenge the cylinders, reducing power and fuel economy. At low engine speeds, Like your idling bike, a large amount of overlap can allow reversion of exhaust gases into the combustion chamber and intake manifold, causing rough idling, poor throttle response, and increased exhaust gas. Increased overlap also reduces vacuum in the intake tract at low-engine speeds, which can result in poor fuel atomization and throttle response. When your bike is warming, can you smell excessive exhaust gases in comarison to before the cam change?

If you simply just replaced your stock cams please disregard this. If not, do that motor justice and get a tune for it.

Last edited by trafficjams; 12-11-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: my EFI bike needs to "warm up"