General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Italian License Plate dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:37 PM
88 Paladin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Italian License Plate dimensions

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of license plates in Italy ? I know the system is a little different in Europe in that the plates don't come from a DMV.

But I would like to know the exact dimensions of the standard issue plate for motorcycles.Not a U.S. military plate ( or are the same size ?) Also is their much of a law regarding curving the plate to the fender as we sometimes do here in the U.S.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Redmondp
Tourer

[img][img]

here ya go. i have seen all different sizes on all sorts of bikes. they are big. this was mine in sicily. They are BIG.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:19 PM
88 Paladin
Cruiser

So different sizes are optional?

Old 12-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Redmondp
Tourer

not really. i guess i should of said, this is the size they are using as of recent. i guess what i have seen are older plates and don't need to be changed or vintage plates.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:25 PM
88 Paladin
Cruiser

OK, so the plate on your bike is the standard size. Searched for dimensions and what I ve found is 165mm x 165mm (or 6.5" X 6.5") . That was on a site that makes them as novelty items so not sure if those are accurate measurements and the real ones are different.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:06 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 88 Paladin
Can anyone tell me the dimensions of license plates in Italy ? I know the system is a little different in Europe in that the plates don't come from a DMV.

But I would like to know the exact dimensions of the standard issue plate for motorcycles.Not a U.S. military plate ( or are the same size ?) Also is their much of a law regarding curving the plate to the fender as we sometimes do here in the U.S.
The plate is square and its sides are the same length of the longer side of the US plate,In Italy they're issued by the DMV (Motorizzazione) unlike Germany where plates can be obtained from independent makers (they print the blanks while you wait).By law you cannot alter the plate and it must be placed on the rear fender and properly illuminated,no side mounts officially,but the cops rarely ticket you for that or for slightly curving it.The military no longer issue their plates (AFI) for security reasons,they get whole batches to be supplied to their members.When I registered my Ultra there I had to place the plate lower down from where it was originally installed under the TourPak because it was not visible to the speed cameras.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:15 PM
88 Paladin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by luisan
The plate is square and its sides are the same length of the longer side of the US plate,In Italy they're issued by the DMV (Motorizzazione) unlike Germany where plates can be obtained from independent makers (they print the blanks while you wait).By law you cannot alter the plate and it must be placed on the rear fender and properly illuminated,no side mounts officially,but the cops rarely ticket you for that or for slightly curving it.The military no longer issue their plates (AFI) for security reasons,they get whole batches to be supplied to their members.When I registered my Ultra there I had to place the plate lower down from where it was originally installed under the TourPak because it was not visible to the speed cameras.
Thanks for that dimension info. Would curving it to fit a wider harley CVO type fender be asking for a ticket?

Old 12-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Redmondp
Tourer

those are the right

Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 PM
88 Paladin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Redmondp
those are the right
165mm x 165mm thanks for confirming that. Here in the states slightly curving the frame to lie against the fender is not usally a big deal with the law. How do the cops in Italy feel about it ?

Old 12-15-2012, 07:10 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 88 Paladin
165mm x 165mm thanks for confirming that. Here in the states slightly curving the frame to lie against the fender is not usally a big deal with the law. How do the cops in Italy feel about it ?
It depends on how things went for him/her the night before!Usually they don't issue tickets for such a minor offense,you get a ticket for having ultra loud pipes,running red lights,not wearing a helmet.Lane splitting ok,riding in the emergency lane to avoid traffic ok,if you get pulled over and registration/insurance papers/drivers license are ok and on top of that you're a foreigner they let you go.You're allowed to keep your US plate for one year after that you have to register the bike and pay import duties,if you're in the military it's a different story you don't have to pay import duties and get issued a local license plate.

Quick Reply: Italian License Plate dimensions