General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HF yellow jack update

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DresserDude
Chunker, I told you last month NOT to buy one in your other thread you started. Here was my response.

Yes, I have used one............ONCE. That was enough for me. My neighbor owns one and I didn't have a jack and he let me borrow it. Does it get the bike in the air.....YES. Is it stable......NOT FOR ME it wasn't. It literally scared me as Troy pointed out with the release mechanism. I bought an aluminum Sears Professional off craigslist. It flexed WAY TOO MUCH for my liking lifting my heavy Ultra. I bought a Pitbull and then bought another Pitbull and another and then a J&S. I had a total of 3 Pitbulls and 1 J&S jack. I currently own the Pitbull for washing and the J&S for maintenance. They are all I'll use. Just my 2 cents.

Guess I am a bit on the stubborn cheap bastard side. Anyway, it's returned. I'll watch the Craigs list for something better.

Thanks

Old 12-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

J&S for me.

And compare for yourself with this video review.

Last edited by Lightyear68; 12-16-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

I use the Sears yellow, but it's made of aluminum. It scares me sometimes, a bit wobbly and if you put the bike up high there is no bringing it down slow. Don't use it much or I'd have to look seriously at something better.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:50 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still keep waiting for the thread that says a bike fell off this jack. A lot of threads saying its junk, but none saying it ruined their bike

Old 12-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
I still keep waiting for the thread that says a bike fell off this jack. A lot of threads saying its junk, but none saying it ruined their bike
A concern I had about the instability was front to rear. If you pulled a wheel, the center of gravity shift might stress it too much. Not taking a chance. Perhaps it's OK, but I already have one that actually works better so I'll keep it. The way the HF drop or lowering mechanism works is not good in my opinion. You ought to be able to slowly control descent which I can with what I have and could not with the HF.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:43 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My yellow HF jack sure doesn't come down very smooth, but fortunately that has never really bothered me. I keep looking at better jacks, but still haven't bought one. Just never seem to get around to it!

Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 AM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the OTC 1545 one, and when I first tried it, I was a little bit concerned about the stability of my bike (and that's a Sportster).
While talking to a neighbor, I discovered he had a J&S, and he was willing to let me try it with my bike.
So I did, and even that did not help make me feel much better about bike's stability.
When I invited him in my garage to take a look at my bike on his J&S, he told me that it was stable for him, and that all lifts which are rising bikes from the center, with no tires contact, are going to be a little wobbling.
So, basically, the only lift which will make me happy, would be a full table lift, which is a little big for my garage space.
So I decided to stick with the OTC and push paranoia on the side while working on the bike.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:17 PM
jc15025
Club Member

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I bought a used J&S for $175. Worth every penny!!

Originally Posted by Chunker
Guess I am a bit on the stubborn cheap bastard side. Anyway, it's returned. I'll watch the Craigs list for something better.

Thanks

Old 12-16-2012, 03:00 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

Still use my $59.00 HF , Used it yesterday ,

Old 12-16-2012, 03:09 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dennyo
Still use my $59.00 HF , Used it yesterday ,