General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HF yellow jack update

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default HF yellow jack update

A couple of weeks ago I bought a HF motorcycle lift and also the yellow jack. The jack was to replace a cheaper one I got years ago that I felt was unstable. Today I put the bike on the jack, it's a bit higher than the other one, and jacked up the bike. Bike is a 2011 FLHTK, 900 pounds. As others said, the jack is unstable and down right scary lowering it. I only raised it a couple inches off the ground to check stability and when I lowered it, it rapidly plopped down. Nothing controlled about the lowering. And yes I tried the full pressure on the release. Since it's worse than the one I have, it went back for a refund.

Just for information for those that are interested.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, that is the nature of the HF yellow jack.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Every time I say that jacks a piece of crap 10 guys jump in and say how great it is....lol.
The arms appear to me to be aluminum. If you touch the bike while it's raised the bike and jack do a dance. It wobbles .....perhaps there is some other yellow hf jack that everyone swears by....I don't know....the model # 94715.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
Every time I say that jacks a piece of crap 10 guys jump in and say how great it is....lol.
The arms appear to me to be aluminum. If you touch the bike while it's raised the bike and jack do a dance. It wobbles .....perhaps there is some other yellow hf jack that everyone swears by....I don't know....the model # 94715.
Figured I would try it. As they say, been there, done that. My older one is just fine in comparison. I can feather it down. Still rocks though.

It's steel, heavier than crap, just not stable. HD must have designed the lowering mechanism based on some other HD designs on these bikes.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default The infamous hf yellow jack

Originally Posted by Chunker
Figured I would try it. As they say, been there, done that. My older one is just fine in comparison. I can feather it down. Still rocks though.

It's steel, heavier than crap, just not stable. HD must have designed the lowering mechanism based on some other HD designs on these bikes.
I got this old black steel hd jack big sob that you have to crank a rod to get her up. That one my buddy gave me after he defected from hd and swore he'd never work on another bike again. lol....my gain.

I still strap her down regardless just Incase my son decides to do something to cost me 5000 bucks in repairs like knocking her over by mistake.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:02 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, I also have the HF jack (mine is orange though) I bought about four years ago for around 50 bucks. This thing works perfectly, holds my heritage up as high as it will go and has never slipped an inch. When I lower it, it will goes down nice and slow if you use your foot right. I don't even strap it down anymore.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Chunker, I told you last month NOT to buy one in your other thread you started. Here was my response.

Yes, I have used one............ONCE. That was enough for me. My neighbor owns one and I didn't have a jack and he let me borrow it. Does it get the bike in the air.....YES. Is it stable......NOT FOR ME it wasn't. It literally scared me as Troy pointed out with the release mechanism. I bought an aluminum Sears Professional off craigslist. It flexed WAY TOO MUCH for my liking lifting my heavy Ultra. I bought a Pitbull and then bought another Pitbull and another and then a J&S. I had a total of 3 Pitbulls and 1 J&S jack. I currently own the Pitbull for washing and the J&S for maintenance. They are all I'll use. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If you can afford it or do enough work to justify it, a handy lift........i've had one for 12 years for bikes and 4-wheelers

Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,385 Posts

I have a Handy Lift too but use a Sears yellow jack for washing, front wheel removal and storing the bike upright. I also use the Handy Lift to load and unload heavy stuff from my pickup.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:32 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the best $59 I ever spent.Mine is stable goes down smooth.My E-glide was up on the jack last winter for 3 weeks while I was rebuilding the motor,I didn't have it strapped down because the straps kept getting in the way and I rolled it around all over the garage without any trouble.

Quick Reply: HF yellow jack update