General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Started With Motorcycle Maintanance / Mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 02:35 PM
rs1971
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Started With Motorcycle Maintanance / Mechanics

Hi,

After just more than a decade away from motorcycles (I'm 43) I just bought a used (4500 mi) 2007 HD Deuce. I have absolutely no mechanical experience, motorcycle or otherwise, but I finally have a garage and I've decided that I'd like to teach myself to do at least basic maintanance on this bike. I'm wondering if anyone can offer any thughts on how I should get started and what tools I'll need at a minimum. I realize that this is a pretty general question, but hopeful someone can offer some helpful advice.

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:03 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read this forum... a lot.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Punisherdave
Cruiser

Harley service manual. Will explain all you need for maintenance. Try a craftsman tool set where they bundle if youre looking for value. You could buy individual tools but itll cost ya more. Im a mechanic so all my good tools are at work but ive done fine at home with basic tools.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After the basic set you can get what tools you need as you find you need them. I have tons of tools but I have gotten them over the course of years.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:36 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

A craftsmen set and a manual. Then do an oil change.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:44 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,917 Likes on 603 Posts

Some good info here, just scroll down to the twin-cam oil changes (all three)...
http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.HTML

Good luck, have fun and welcome back!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:51 PM
rs1971
Novice

Thanks guys for the input. I'm already trying to hunt down a service manual and I'll probably just get a starter set of craftsman mechanics tools and then I'll buy the rest as I need it. I would guess that a lift is almost mandatory, no? If so, is this a reasonable choice: http://www.centurytool.net/1545_OTC_..._p/otc1545.htm

Thanks again!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:51 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 316 Likes on 181 Posts

Start by working on as much stuff as possible (lawn mowers, vacuum cleaners, garage doors, mailboxes, whatever). The more stuff you work on the more you will learn. (Lesson 1: Don't do unnecessary maintenance or try fixing things that aren't broken.)

Tools to start with (look for sets rather than individual tools): Screwdrivers, Torx wrenches, Allen wrenches (SAE and Metric), combination wrenches (SAE and metric).
The more tools in the set the more likely you will have the right size.
Socket sets are nice to have (1/4" and 3/8" drive are the most commonly used).
(As a general rule the sets that have all of these types of tools in one set usually aren't very good quality and are usually missing sizes that come in the specific sets).

I'm not a big fan of Craftsman tools these days, I'd be more likely to look at Kobalt.

Originally Posted by rs1971
Thanks guys for the input. I'm already trying to hunt down a service manual and I'll probably just get a starter set of craftsman mechanics tools and then I'll buy the rest as I need it. I would guess that a lift is almost mandatory, no? If so, is this a reasonable choice: http://www.centurytool.net/1545_OTC_..._p/otc1545.htm

Thanks again!
A lift is definitely not mandatory, but it is nice to have. It will hold the bike upright and give you more clearance for fluid changes. It also can save you from bending over as much.

You can make one like this: http://s85.beta.photobucket.com/user...ry/Bike%20lift
I had one that I used for years. Wish I didn't give it away, I've been thinking about making another.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-26-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:07 PM
rs1971
Novice

Originally Posted by hdgzr
Some good info here, just scroll down to the twin-cam oil changes (all three)...
http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.HTML

Good luck, have fun and welcome back!
The directions on that site are awesome. I think that even I'm not going to be able to ***** that up. Plus, I always wondered how they got the fruit in those bottles.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:36 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

torque wrench ,blue locktite, Harley manual

Quick Reply: Getting Started With Motorcycle Maintanance / Mechanics