General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather Gear Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can't afford leather go to walmart (or the like) and buy a cheap rain suit that's made out of rubber to stop the wind, you can also get large rubber gloves to cover your hands as well. If you want really cheap shove newspapers inside of your pants and shirt.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DYNAmiteBuzz
You don't have to spend a lot of money. You may even have everything you need right at home. I'm guessing, for the most part, it doesn't get too cold in Memphis during the day this time of year. 40 to 45 degrees? Piece of cake.

From the waist up.

1. Base Layer: I double up on this step. A basic thermal undershirt that you can get at Walmart for next to nothing. And a better, heavier synthetic base layer (I prefer a mock or turtle neck). Here's an excellent one. It's $50 but you can find them cheaper. Don't waste your time with cotton shirts. It'll just add bulk and do little to keep you warm.

http://www.goathleticapparel.com/sub...shirt?vmcchk=1

2. Mid Layer: A fleece shirt/sweater. This will insulate the heat your body produces.

3. Outer shell. You're leather jacket. I wear my heavy Fox Creek leather when it's cold.

Below the waist

1. Thermal long underwear.

2. Jeans (flannel lined jeans are better if you have them)

3. Chaps. But you may not even need chaps. I ride without them in 40 to 45 degree weather....depending on how long I'll be riding.

Other stuff

1. If you're not wearing a full face helmet. A balaclava or neck warmer that you can pull over your face.

2. Warm gloves. You can wear those latex gloves that doctors wear underneath. This will block wind that may be coming through your gloves.

The key to staying warm is blocking the wind and keeping if off your skin. Make sure no wind is sneaking though the sleeves, pant legs, partially open zippers etc.

Another very low cost solution is to get some of those heat packs and stick them in your gloves, boots and jacket.

I feel your pain dude. I had shoulder surgery on 11/20 and haven't rode since 11/19. I'm itching to get back in the saddle too. Might be a while longer for me though...end of January maybe. Good luck, stay warm and ride safe.
Exactly what he said above, but I will add the footwear...get some thin synthetic socks as a base layer, then heavy wool socks over top, then your regular riding boots will work just fine.

Also, if you have the $ a quick detach windshield is your best friend in the winter time. You can usually find them fairly cheap in like new condition on CL.
It makes all the difference in the world. Forget about appearance here as it will take the wind off your chest and face & is well worth it.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I wear a pair of Duluth Trading fleece lined jeans when it's 45 or below and they work very well as far as keeping warm and blocking wind. Granted, I'm not riding for hours on the highway, but around town they work well.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...ans-86127.aspx

Old 12-26-2012, 02:54 PM
ColoradoBill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a little colder here in Colorado. So I bought the Gerbings heated jacket liner and gloves. I've used them more when I'm sitting on the tractor pushing snow than when I've been riding!

Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to a military surplas store and find an older US Air Force extreme cold weather gauntletted mitts. Take out the wool mitt insert that comes with them (because you may actually sweat using them) inside the shell and use older US Navy wool flight deck gloves inside the mitt. Get a couple pairs of the navy glove inserts in case they get wet from persperation.

I have left for Florida from Mass at 5 degreess on the mercury with this mitts/gloves combination. Fugg electrics.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

You can layer everything but your hands. I know they are expensive, but try and find the money for some Gerbings gloves with an on/off switch. Thermostat/jacket liner, etc can all be bought later.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:22 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 288 Likes on 154 Posts

I went 5 years without owning a cage when I was younger and dumber.
I wore a set of insulated overalls and a down jacket with long ski gloves.
It worked well.
Now I have have a heated jacket liner, heated gloves and a cage for when it gets really cold.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:36 AM
StreetBob235
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DYNAmiteBuzz
You don't have to spend a lot of money. You may even have everything you need right at home. I'm guessing, for the most part, it doesn't get too cold in Memphis during the day this time of year. 40 to 45 degrees? Piece of cake.

From the waist up.

1. Base Layer: I double up on this step. A basic thermal undershirt that you can get at Walmart for next to nothing. And a better, heavier synthetic base layer (I prefer a mock or turtle neck). Here's an excellent one. It's $50 but you can find them cheaper. Don't waste your time with cotton shirts. It'll just add bulk and do little to keep you warm.

http://www.goathleticapparel.com/sub...shirt?vmcchk=1

2. Mid Layer: A fleece shirt/sweater. This will insulate the heat your body produces.

3. Outer shell. You're leather jacket. I wear my heavy Fox Creek leather when it's cold.

Below the waist

1. Thermal long underwear.

2. Jeans (flannel lined jeans are better if you have them)

3. Chaps. But you may not even need chaps. I ride without them in 40 to 45 degree weather....depending on how long I'll be riding.

Other stuff

1. If you're not wearing a full face helmet. A balaclava or neck warmer that you can pull over your face.

2. Warm gloves. You can wear those latex gloves that doctors wear underneath. This will block wind that may be coming through your gloves.

The key to staying warm is blocking the wind and keeping if off your skin. Make sure no wind is sneaking though the sleeves, pant legs, partially open zippers etc.

Another very low cost solution is to get some of those heat packs and stick them in your gloves, boots and jacket.

I feel your pain dude. I had shoulder surgery on 11/20 and haven't rode since 11/19. I'm itching to get back in the saddle too. Might be a while longer for me though...end of January maybe. Good luck, stay warm and ride safe.
Latex gloves work like a charm. Learned that trick from a skydiving buddy.

Just a word of caution on the heatpacks. Make sure they aren't busted, as in don't have holes in them. We used to empty them out into each others boots during deployments as a practical joke. Funny watching grown *** man hopping around screaming that their feet are on fire haha.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 528 Posts

Just a thought, search Craig's list.

I was able to get a Gerbings Heated jacket liner for $75.00!

Although it took 2 years of hunting, I couldn't be happier and saved a lot of

money.

With Heated Gloves, Jacket liner and my 3/4 lit with bubble shield..... It's like

summer all year round!

Good Luck and Ride Safe,

YB

Old 12-27-2012, 04:21 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,506 Likes on 2,485 Posts

The hell with all this crap.

Pack up & move to Florida. I did.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Gear Advice