General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather Gear Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 PM
camden
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cold Weather Gear Advice

Hey folks! I'm a pretty new rider. I bought a Nightster this past summer and really enjoyed riding in summer and fall. I had surgery, so the last time I rode was Thanksgiving and I'm itching to get back out. I'd really like to ride this winter, but I'm not sure I can afford all the cold weather gear I might need this year... maybe next year.

It doesn't really get below freezing much here in Memphis. Anyone have any advice on maybe using items I might already have or some less expensive alternatives to the good stuff? I'm fine with layering and the like. I think the biggest issue I would need to overcome is the wind. Obviously a hoodie and jeans ain't working like it did in the fall.

Thanks!

Old 12-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some heated gloves. You can probably get into a good pair for around 150 or so. They are worth their weight in gold. You can layer up pretty well for the chest and legs but a set of heated gloves will make a huge difference overall. At least it did for me. I rode once down to about 15 degrees and the heated gloves made it completely bearable if not actually comfortable. You can get gloves with separate batteries or a plug that will attach to the bikes battery. I have ones that attach to the bikes batteries. All you have to do is run the wires through your sleeves and down to the battery connector. Now that I have the heated jacket to go with it I just plug the gloves into connectors that come out the sleeves. The jacket also allows me to just wear a t-shirt under my leather jacket. Of course the jacket is another 200. Other then some heated gloves I'd suggest a good balaclava to go under the helmet and chaps if you don't already have them. Some people have had good luck with carhart wear also instead of chaps. Bottom line really is not to skimp on gloves since that's not just a comfort issue, but a control issue (think not being able to pull in the clutch if your hands frozen up)

Old 12-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Cruzn34
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a heated vest a few years ago, and its GREAT!!! It's made by Widder and cost about $150. A buddy of mine got a bike a few weeks ago and we found him a heated vest on sale at a local bike shop for $100. He loves it and can't wait to try it out! I like the vest because you can wear it u der your jacket and when it gets a little warmer, you can wear it just as it is and nobody will ever know its heated. It's made with thinslate and looks real classy just by itself! There should be plenty of motorcycle accessory shops there in Memphis and I wouldn't look for one at Bumpus unless you have a platinum card from Visa!

Old 12-25-2012, 11:01 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

I'm basically a cheap bastard. So I spent the money where I thought I'd get the best use. Gerbing G3 heated gloves. You can get the entire heated setup for a small fortune. But with proper layering, you can do quite well. To me, the hands are the toughest part to keep warm.

I have long Johns I picked up at Walmart. One regular pair and one thinner sport pair. Under jeans and I'm warm in the lower 30's.

The core I wear a T-shirt, long John, fleece sweater and my leather jacket and I'm good to go. I throw a flannel shirt in the bag just in case.

I wear nice wool socks and can wear another thin pair if needed.

No need for $40 long Johns, $30 socks, or $90 sweaters. I certainly don't need another $600 worth of heated gear to ride comfortably.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:40 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by camden
Hey folks! I'm a pretty new rider. I bought a Nightster this past summer and really enjoyed riding in summer and fall. I had surgery, so the last time I rode was Thanksgiving and I'm itching to get back out. I'd really like to ride this winter, but I'm not sure I can afford all the cold weather gear I might need this year... maybe next year.

It doesn't really get below freezing much here in Memphis. Anyone have any advice on maybe using items I might already have or some less expensive alternatives to the good stuff? I'm fine with layering and the like. I think the biggest issue I would need to overcome is the wind. Obviously a hoodie and jeans ain't working like it did in the fall.

Thanks!
You don't have to spend a lot of money. You may even have everything you need right at home. I'm guessing, for the most part, it doesn't get too cold in Memphis during the day this time of year. 40 to 45 degrees? Piece of cake.

From the waist up.

1. Base Layer: I double up on this step. A basic thermal undershirt that you can get at Walmart for next to nothing. And a better, heavier synthetic base layer (I prefer a mock or turtle neck). Here's an excellent one. It's $50 but you can find them cheaper. Don't waste your time with cotton shirts. It'll just add bulk and do little to keep you warm.

http://www.goathleticapparel.com/sub...shirt?vmcchk=1

2. Mid Layer: A fleece shirt/sweater. This will insulate the heat your body produces.

3. Outer shell. You're leather jacket. I wear my heavy Fox Creek leather when it's cold.

Below the waist

1. Thermal long underwear.

2. Jeans (flannel lined jeans are better if you have them)

3. Chaps. But you may not even need chaps. I ride without them in 40 to 45 degree weather....depending on how long I'll be riding.

Other stuff

1. If you're not wearing a full face helmet. A balaclava or neck warmer that you can pull over your face.

2. Warm gloves. You can wear those latex gloves that doctors wear underneath. This will block wind that may be coming through your gloves.

The key to staying warm is blocking the wind and keeping if off your skin. Make sure no wind is sneaking though the sleeves, pant legs, partially open zippers etc.

Another very low cost solution is to get some of those heat packs and stick them in your gloves, boots and jacket.

I feel your pain dude. I had shoulder surgery on 11/20 and haven't rode since 11/19. I'm itching to get back in the saddle too. Might be a while longer for me though...end of January maybe. Good luck, stay warm and ride safe.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 12-26-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:03 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,952 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by camden

Thanks!

Hey- I'm just a little south of you in Red Banks. We're getting freezing rain as I type this.

For decades I layered up, just recently got a gerbing jacket liner...should of done it years ago.

I ride year round, cept when the roads are icy.

Same before and now:
Wool socks, good boots.
Target brand underarmor type shorts and shirt
Long johns
Sliders jeans

Before:
Long sleeve cotton shirt
Quilted flannel shirt
Leather jacket and vest
Wool neck wrap that I tuck the ends into the jacket before zipping it up (this is great at retaining warmth and blocking wind from going into jacket)
Gauntlet Gloves
Sometimes on long rides the cold would get into my fingers, I keep a pair of wool gloves that will work inside the gauntlet gloves.

Now: T-shirt, gerbing jacket liner, leather jacket & vest, Gauntlet gloves.

Can ride all day in the 20's and be toasty warm.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

Heated gear....it doesn't matter which brand (I prefer gerbings...others don't). You may not be able to go all out, at once, but start with gloves,a jacket liner, and dual controller. Sure it's "pricey"... but you'll be done!!!
You can "save money" by buying non-heated gear.... but over a few years, the money you spend trying different gloves, and under layers....etc... you could just bite the bullet and be warm.
Regardless of "layers"... the best they can do is conserve what heat you have... for short ride (half-hour or so) that's fine.... but if you put on miles.... there isn't anything better than reaching a controller, and turning a ****

Old 12-26-2012, 08:34 AM
baimo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gerbing or other brand heated jacket liner and gloves. Was nice and warm over the holiday weekend and I only needed to wear a long sleeve tshirt underneath.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:49 AM
bell927
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long sleeve thermal shirt w/ t-shirt underneath and Under Armour hoodie

thermals under jeans

2 pair of socks

leather jacket w/jean vest over top as a wind break

cheap knit stretch gloves under leather gauntlets or Scott brand ski gloves when in the 20s F

Fleece neck warmer

Full face helmet

*The heated gear is tempting but don't have the scratch for it. Should I get the cash I would probably buy heated gloves as keeping my hands warm has been the biggest challenge.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 AM
CB1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not going to beat heated gear. I'm one that can be a little hard headed about just spending the money the first time around instead of trying everything else first. Guess I just have to learn the hard way. Anyways, I would say to think about what bothers you the most when cold. For me it's my hands. My hands get really cold really easy, so I bought heated Gerbings (sp?) gloves and I love them. Before just riding in 40 degree weather, my hands would be freezing even with insulated gloves on. Also got the dual zone controller for it in case I add something else with the gloves in the future. My next issue would be my feet, but I can wear gortex boots and wool socks and do ok. I'm still gonna add some dessert dog lower covers for my crash bar eventually. You may also consider a detachable windshield. That will help knock off a lot of wind and can help keep the core warm with layering.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Gear Advice