General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

41k miles too many for used fxdx?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Nuday
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 41k miles too many for used fxdx?

I'm looking at a 2001 fxdx with 41k miles on it. How many is too many miles on a slightly older used bike? Anyone have an fxdx still running strong after many miles? Any issues in that time?
Thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 PM
fella
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's only 3400miles a year average.
Dunno any specific issues with that yr/model but the mileage wouldn't bother me as long as the bike looks like it is cared for and sounds fine.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuday
I'm looking at a 2001 fxdx with 41k miles on it. How many is too many miles on a slightly older used bike? Anyone have an fxdx still running strong after many miles? Any issues in that time?
Thanks!
Haven't you heard? All motorcycles go to hell in a handbag once they hit 40k miles on 'em. Just like all cages once they hit 50k miles.
Seriously, would you ask us that question if it were a Mustang or Camaro you were looking at with 41k miles on it?

Old 03-04-2013, 02:07 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Only thing I would consider is the cam chain tensioners. If they've been upgraded I'd ride the **** out of it.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

My 04 has 40K, was ridden pretty hard but still runs like new. Compression is good as new. Tensioners were hardly worn at 30K. Only real problem was alternator rotor spline stripped out and required about $100 or so of parts. Came from adbuse.(smokeing a worn out tire in a burn off) Clutch disc have so little wear you can not measure it with a dial caliper. Probably less then .0005. I Check it all when replacing alternator rotor. If it runs good it's probably is OK.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-04-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Only thing I would consider is the cam chain tensioners. If they've been upgraded I'd ride the **** out of it.
Agreed....less than 4K per year is nothing.

Just check the chains & their tensioners like he said (primary drive as well as cam chains), and I bet it's golden.

Hell, even if you have to buy it first and end up replacing all three chains & two tensioners, I doubt that'd cost much at all, especially if you do it yourself.
If the timing seems ok between the two cylinders, you may not even have to pull the cam plate & replace the inner cam chain.
Then it's just the outer cam chain & tensioner....easy job. Even I can do that. Hardest part of both would just be taking the front exhaust pipe off to get the cam cover off.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fella
It's only 3400miles a year average.
At that rate, I think "used" is an overstatement of this bikes life. Someone has been generous enough to store it and barely ride it for 12 years... Hell its even got the good crank and left bearing...

Buy it, check the tensioners, and aim for 34,000 miles a year on it

Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

Miles are not a problem as long as the price understands the situation

Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Nuday
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tampakingpin
Miles are not a problem as long as the price understands the situation
hahah true. There is also a 2005 in my area, 43k miles, has VH pipes. They want 8900 for it, but it sounds like they'll go lower. Was the 2005 distinctly better than the 2001? Usually newer is better, but given that it was the last production year...

Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Nuday
hahah true. There is also a 2005 in my area, 43k miles, has VH pipes. They want 8900 for it, but it sounds like they'll go lower. Was the 2005 distinctly better than the 2001? Usually newer is better, but given that it was the last production year...
I would argue that the 2001 was better. I say this because it has a forged crank and good left side bearing. Cranks went to **** and they changed the left side bearing in 03. Maybe not a game changer if you're leaving it stock and babying it, but if its gonna see some real miles and possibly a few performance upgrades it'll provide some peice of mind without opening the bottom end to fix MOCO's shortcomings. Other than those engine changes there is going to be little/no difference in the rest of the bike.

Quick Reply: 41k miles too many for used fxdx?