General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you have the seat customized ..Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:17 AM
mesquite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you have the seat customized ..Road King

I'm about to buy a new Road King and I'm thinking it may be some well spent money to have the factory seat sent to a custom shop to make the seat more comfortable.

Do you think it would be an improvement?

Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

You haven't even purchased the bike yet and you are debating spending money on it to make it more comfortable?

How about, buy the bike, break it in, then take it on a 500 mile run to see what it takes to make it more comfortable.

Or, if you are made of money, write the check and do as you choose, it is your bike and your checkbook.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:29 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have 23k miles on my 2011 RK with it's factory seat. It's plenty comfortable for 300 mile days. At least for me. I'm 5'11" and weigh 220 lbs. It starts getting uncomfortable at around 350 miles, so I try to stay under that number in a single day. If you really want to immediately improve the seat, why not just get them to throw a Sundowner seat in with the deal? It's an awesome seat. I don't have one because I don't feel I need one. If they will throw it in the deal for free, give it a try before spending lots of money to have it modified.

Of course, all this advise will depend on your physical characteristics also.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 AM
mesquite
Cruiser

I had just made a 3 hr ride just to test ride a Road King. I immediately thought this seat isn't as comfortable as what I just got off of.

Is this common for your new bike to need some time to get to feel'n good?

Old 03-23-2013, 10:50 AM
mesquite
Cruiser

Thanks. It does appear that Harley offers many choices of seats without the need to send one out.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:22 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It'll take a while for any seat to break in and feel it's best. Time in the saddle will expedite this process. Good luck and don't forget to get those pics up when you get her.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:33 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I've owned Harleys since 1967 and I have yet to have a stock seat that was comfortable for me. A friend once told me that Harley makes motorcycles, not seats and I believe it. When I get a new bike the seat is the first thing to go right before the exhaust and cam(s).

DannyZ71, get a good seat and you can ride all day long and the seat will be the least of your problems. I can do 500 and even 1000 in a day and a uncomfortable seat is not a problem.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:04 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer

I had a Tall Boy seat installed when I bought my Road King. It was better than the stock seat, but not enough.

I sent the original seat to Russell Day Long http://www.day-long.com/ and had them re-do the seat to my height/weight specifications and my wife's height/weight specifications.

Very comfortable seat and worth the $$.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd wait and ride it. You are probably going to want to change the bars out and the seat can be an important part of that equation in terms of overall position for riding comfort.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:44 PM
mesquite
Cruiser

I'm having Fat Boy bars put on it and I'll just start with a good Harley seat...but nice to have Russell Day Long's website in my favorites now. I'll have them to go to if I'm not happy.

Quick Reply: Would you have the seat customized ..Road King