General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get what I want out of a totaled bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Sooners1
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get what I want out of a totaled bike

I had a car driver pull out directly in front of me the other day and I hit him. It was 100% his fault and his insurance is covering everthing. There adjuster looked at the bike and said there was $8,500.00 in damage and according to NADA and Blue book it is work $11,850.00 I still owe just over $11K on the bike. I am afraid they are going to total my bike. This is my only mode of transportation. I need for the insurance company to repair my bike or put me into the same situation I was in before their insured driver caused this accident by writing me a check above and beyond what the motorcycle is worth so I can get another one and have approximately the same payments with the same amount remaining on the bike. I am sore and have bruises but no broken bones. If they total my bike, how do I handle this?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't help you with the questions as the UK works rather different but, I'm glad to see that you came out as well as you did. Good luck with the aftermath.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 PM
MAJOR
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Lawyer up, or settle for Nada.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since it's your only transportation, I'd ask the insurance company to supply a rental charged to his insurance until you can get a replacement.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:03 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooners1
I had a car driver pull out directly in front of me the other day and I hit him. It was 100% his fault and his insurance is covering everthing. There adjuster looked at the bike and said there was $8,500.00 in damage and according to NADA and Blue book it is work $11,850.00 I still owe just over $11K on the bike. I am afraid they are going to total my bike. This is my only mode of transportation. I need for the insurance company to repair my bike or put me into the same situation I was in before their insured driver caused this accident by writing me a check above and beyond what the motorcycle is worth so I can get another one and have approximately the same payments with the same amount remaining on the bike. I am sore and have bruises but no broken bones. If they total my bike, how do I handle this?
The insurance company is not going to pay more than the bike is worth. They don't have to. However, they will likely offer you a settlement that will include some payment for your loss of time, pain etc. You should contact your own insurance company but do not accept any settlement before you speak with an attorney.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Dont settle for less than what you need. They always try to short change you, but raise cain and dont take no crap. Sue for injury too.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooners1
I am sore and have bruises but no broken bones. If they total my bike, how do I handle this?
At the risk of the wrath of all the goody good doers here, LAWYER UP! Don't be a dumb ***! The other insurance company is way more concerned with your health than with a lousy $11,000 bike!!!!!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
At the risk of the wrath of all the goody good doers here, LAWYER UP! Don't be a dumb ***! The other insurance company is way more concerned with your health than with a lousy $11,000 bike!!!!!
Good advice, you can believe that the insurance company has "Lawyer-ed Up''

Old 03-27-2013, 12:39 PM
JWD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bottom line is the bike is worth what it's worth. Having said that get any receipts you may have put into for any mods etc that would separate it from a stock value which is what nada or any other guides lists. Guide being the key word here. Mileage & mods will play into the actual acv (actual cash value). Generally speaking if the damages are at least 75% of the acv they will consider it a total loss. Each state differs in it's insurance regulations which are set by individual states. Do you homework on market values also, the more your are educated, the more you stand to gain. They must negotiate in good faith.

Also get your carrier involved as they may well come up with some different #'s on what the bike is worth, you can always utilize your carrier & settle as they will then subrogate against the other carrier to reclaim the funds they pay you as well as your deductible.

As far as your injuries go you should def lawyer up & you should be entitled to some compensation for this possibly. Generally you can get a free consult to see if your case is worth anything. Med pays & physical damages are generally two separate items & have limits depending on policy type. As I said all states are different & here in NY you would absolutely be entitled to a rental car too until a fair settlement is reached. Ask for it they won't offer it likely.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Do not believe that your payment situation will effect the price of the settlement.
Insurance will usually pay you for the value of your property damaged by their insured.

Since you had very little equity in the bike before the accident, it is likely that you will also have very little equity after.

Probably will recieve a check from the insurance company determined by the value of your bike. You may also make a bid to purchase the damaged bike.

If you can repair it for less money than the difference, then you may end up bucks up.

Quick Reply: How do I get what I want out of a totaled bike