General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long to recover a seat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 713 Posts
Default How long to recover a seat?

I am planning on getting my seat recovered and am being told it will take longer than 4 days. I have the appointment time already scheduled so wait time shouldn't be the issue. I didn't think it should take more than 1 day but maybe I am wrong. How long should it take? They have the material in stock too.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:17 AM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My guy fixed a tear in my Sundowner in one day. To totally recover it might take him two. But, you may be at the end of the line which might account for the four day wait.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Seat, material, cost? Just out of curiosity, planning on doing one in the future.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

If you don't like it go some where else.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

I asked how long it would take because I haven't had one recovered before, and don't know how long it normally takes to finish.

It isn't a matter of not liking it or not.

MJHJEA material cost is $64.00 for 2 yds. and labor ballpark $250-$300

Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I may have gotten up on the wrong side of the bead this morning, but I don’t think so.
Its going to take them (the people you are having the work done with) 4 days. Once again; “if you don’t like it go someplace else”.
Did you check out other businesses about having this work done?
Are they (the people you are having the work done with) going to “fit you in” between their current work or dedicate time for your work? Did you ask?
Are you removing the seat from your bike or are they going to?
Now let’s see what it takes to recover you seat:
Remove you current covering, split the seams so they will have a pattern to work from, cut the new material, sow and install the new cover.
I would guess apex. 4 hr. of actual work (not including breaks, phone calls, other customers asking questions, looking for “stuff” or tools to do the work with (where is my knife, glue gun, staples, etc.)
Think you may need or want to talk with them again?

$250 to $300 - thats about $75.00 per hr. A fair labor charge.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Since your in VA. I'd suggest Mean City to do the work, I sent mine from when I lived in Phoenix. The cost of shipping was a major killer but there work was great.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Kenney I requested a specific time appointment to have the work done. The material is ordered and will be on hand when I get there. This is being done out of state during a few days away. I am bringing in the seat for them.
I tried to imagine a time line how long it would take to do a seat and no matter what I could imagine 4 days for the price being paid. I asked here because I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. At this point I am going to purchase the material I have ordered and go elsewhere.
If I didn't have a specific appointment I can see having to leave the seat, wait your turn, getting the seat done, then returned to you. But not this way.

Mean City is another option. I can make an appointment, ride there to get the work done.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 AM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider1200
I am planning on getting my seat recovered and am being told it will take longer than 4 days. I have the appointment time already scheduled so wait time shouldn't be the issue. I didn't think it should take more than 1 day but maybe I am wrong. How long should it take? They have the material in stock too.
I recovered the seat on my bike below in about 8 hours. If you don't count going to the leather store. Which is the SAME company the provided schools with the leather making stuff back in elementary school. The wallets, arm bands etc

I picked out my own hide from the hundreds they have and it is so soft on my bottom now.

She gave me the basic instruction on how to do it set me up with an awl, the proper thread (REALLY thick thread) couple big needles and some sticky stuff in a can to attach the leather to the padding so it stays smooth.

I gotta tell you it was a lot of fun and it came out really nicely. I sat out in the backyard in the shade of a redwood tree, a cooler of beer and the dogs and some music and did it.

Anyhow, OP good luck I think that is a reasonable time. Depending on their process- If you are concerned ask them if they have to send part of the job out to someone else or look in their shop and see if they have multiple people working at different stations.

as the customer you certainly have the right to ask what their process is. I bet they'd be happy to explain and it would set your mind at ease.

Last edited by RoaringRigid; 04-12-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 AM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenney
I may have gotten up on the wrong side of the bead this morning, but I don’t think so.
Its going to take them (the people you are having the work done with) 4 days. Once again; “if you don’t like it go someplace else”.
Did you check out other businesses about having this work done?
Are they (the people you are having the work done with) going to “fit you in” between their current work or dedicate time for your work? Did you ask?
Are you removing the seat from your bike or are they going to?
Now let’s see what it takes to recover you seat:
Remove you current covering, split the seams so they will have a pattern to work from, cut the new material, sow and install the new cover.
I would guess apex. 4 hr. of actual work (not including breaks, phone calls, other customers asking questions, looking for “stuff” or tools to do the work with (where is my knife, glue gun, staples, etc.)
Think you may need or want to talk with them again?

$250 to $300 - thats about $75.00 per hr. A fair labor charge.
There is more involved then that. And I am guessing the issue is they are doing it in a way that requires something to set up overnight.

I doubt they do it all in one sitting as well they probably have several "stations" where work gets passed along to different 'experts'.

And some shops even send parts of a process out to others to do if they are not equipped or staffed.

Quick Reply: How long to recover a seat?