General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about thundermax with autotune

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Lance Arrant
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about thundermax with autotune

I have a heritage softail classic that I just purchased a rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust for and will be getting some sort of aftermarket a/c for it as well. I was planning on getting the thundermax with autotune from fuelmoto but wanted to talk to my local indy who has the reputation around here as being the best in the area at tuning about what tuner he uses and how much he charges for dyno time. He said he uses the thundermax with autotune and that even though it is autotune he still has to dyno it to dial it in and I have to purchase the thundermax through him or he won't tune it He $150 higher than fuelmoto. my question is: do I need dyno time with the thundermax? Will the base map that fuelmoto preload be close enough? I do most the wrenching on my bikes and enjoy it. If I could save money on shop and dyno time that would be great as well. I do not want to spend extra money if it is not needed. I was under the impression that dyno time was not needed with the thundermax. Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Lance Arrant; 05-03-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I installed my T-Max and dialed it in myself, with the help of some guys on Harley Tech Talk. There are some real gurus over there that know their stuff. Never had a Dyno, but my bike runs really strong and I have no complaints (perhaps mpg, but I could fix that if I really wanted to). You'll be fine without a Dyno. The only real reason I could see for getting one, is if you gotta know what kinda numbers your bike is hitting.

I would say you'll be fine with Jamie's map, but if it's not to your liking and still needs tweaking, head on over to HDTT and have some of the guys over there help you with it. I could even help you to a point, but those guys over there no their stuff way better than I do...

Question (out of curiosity):
Is there a particular reason you are going with the T-Max and not something else? Cuz if I had it to do again, I'd probably go with the Dynojet Power Vision. Much more user friendly, but with the help of a computer you can still make it do just about everything a T-Max or any other advanced tuner can do. I personally wouldn't get a T-Max again unless I was a total power using tuner geek.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Lance Arrant
Intermediate

I have just heard really great things about the tmax but not totally dead set on it, do you think the power vision with autotune would be the better option? does it support future upgrades like cams?

Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance Arrant
I have just heard really great things about the tmax but not totally dead set on it, do you think the power vision with autotune would be the better option? does it support future upgrades like cams?
Yes, PV can handle future upgrades. You don't really need a dyno tune for your T-Max though, and I certainly wouldn't pay anyone an extra $150.00 just for the privilege of having him tune my bike. Sounds like a crook.

I had T-Max on my previous bike and have PV on current bike. Both work very well. PV is a little more user friendly in my opinion.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Lance Arrant
Intermediate

thanks for the responses ! Another question. I am starting to lean toward the pv and my question is: do I need the autotune pro? I do not plan to add cams anytime soon and if I could get away with autotune basic that would be great. My bike would be mostly stock except for pipes and a/c.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 AM
EasternPC_CustomerService
Former Sponsor
Default Thundermax

If your thinking about doing a thundermax don't think twice, this is pretty much the best tuner on the market currently and does not require a dyno session unless you want to dial it in for fine tuning. This is something that can be done yourself by simply reading the directions and following them to a t. The point of this tuner is to set the base map, and allow your riding to finish your tune and save the fuel tables to how you ride. Dialing in should be done using a lab top when the tuner is connected to the bike. I.e. Autotune meaning it will automaically tune it self out based on altitude, air/fuel ratio etc. These units not only help the bike run cooler, better gas efficiency and assure that the bike does not run hot or spread heat to blue the head pipe. We stock them give us a ring with questions or to place an order.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Lance Arrant
Intermediate

I'm not sure which way to go. I am sure either the pv or the tmax would both be great. I'm thinking with only exhaust and a/c right now that the pv and autotune basic would work just fine and maybe add the autotune pro later? idk what to do.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 PM
mori55
Tourer

I've had a Tmax for 6 yrs, works great. Get it from Zippers, they'll load a map for you.
Ride it and let it tune. You can run it hookEd up to your laptop in the drive way, and send it to them , it's called a monitor log. Tells you in the software. They'll look at and adjust it for you. All through email. Excellent customer service.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:59 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance Arrant
I'm not sure which way to go. I am sure either the pv or the tmax would both be great. I'm thinking with only exhaust and a/c right now that the pv and autotune basic would work just fine and maybe add the autotune pro later? idk what to do.
Auto tune basic works great on a stage 1 bike. I just did cams and its working great for that too.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:33 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm telling you, get the PV! I've had the T-Max on my bike for 4 years and it's a great tuner, but it's NOT for the non-tech savvy. There is quite a learning curve to get it dialed in just right and for the extent of your use, at least for now, buying a T-max for you would be like using a computer that runs only command line to organize a few files, whereas getting a PV would be more like using an iPad to do the same thing. Both do a good job, but ones gonna take a lot longer (especially for someone who doesn't know command line) to do the same job. First of all, you're gonna spend a couple hours installing the T-Max because it replaces your entire ECM. Next, you gotta connect a laptop to it via a serial cable in order load a map. What modern laptop even has serial interface anymore??? None, so you gotta buy yourself a usb adapter. Lastly, here is what you have to look forward to from Zipper's tech support. Are you with me?

The PV comes with a graphical user interface touch screen that you use to flash a map to your current ECM simply plugging it in and tapping a few buttons on the screen. Virtually NO installation required unless you choose to keep the screen on your handlebars in order to monitor your tune while riding - something you can't do with the T-Max, unless you have someplace to mount your laptop and can ride without a seat. I have not read a bad review of the PV yet, while I have read many complaints about T-Max, mainly by people who are frustrated by the learning curve and/or with Zipper's customer service. Jamie at FM also has a reputation for having some of the best customer service and tech support, so whatever you decide, I'd get it from him. Just bringing you up to speed, bro...

Quick Reply: Question about thundermax with autotune