General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving from NY to FL

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 PM
JohnTM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from NY to FL

In moving from NY to southern FL. I have lots of time, but I've never ridden so many miles on a trip. Moving company will ship my bike with my furnature for about $300. Auto train from VA to Orlando with me as a passenger about the same.
Any experiences on either methods would be appreciated. Maybe if I get some negative feedback, I'll just ride down there and stay at a hotel every 6 hours or so. I'm getting a little older now and worried about the long ride, but I want to get there with my bike in one piece.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Bigpoppa_Junior
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ride that **** all the way man! Take your time and enjoy the ride. Opportunity for a fun trip is staring you in the fave so take advantage of it.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Painless
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the Air Force decided to move me from Anchorage AK to Minot ND I made a quick decision to ride the bike about 2600 miles there. Many time on the trip I questioned the wisdom of that decision. However it remains the best ride I have ever taken. Take your time, ride the bike, make the memories.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:16 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Take the scenic route and take your time.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just left Daytona Friday and got home to the People's Republic (Mass) yesterday on my RG. It's an easy ride, take your time and find an interesting route. You'll have a ball, way more fun than a moving van.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:45 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I've got no suggestions about riding or hauling but when you get here join the Florida Crew, we go on some great rides. Welcome to Fl.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:49 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Ride it .. If 6 Hours is your Limit So be It .. Might Surprise yourself, I am almost 64 and Handle 10 hour days quite easily .. When get to enjoying the Ride with a Mission in Mind, the miles Fly on By ...

Old 05-12-2013, 07:09 AM
jjames
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not knowing you or if you have any physical limitations I would say definitely ride it. I've heard too many horror stories of damaged bikes by movers, or pushed back deliveries. When my parents retired to CO from OH due to time constraints he dropped the bike off at the dealer to be shipped. It was March and supposed to take 2 weeks to arrive. It finally arrived in September missing an entire riding season. I see you've got a tourer in your pic so tour. Take your time, find your route and don't make reservations before you leave. Ride at your pace, rest when you want and when your ready to call it a day stop and get a room. No reservations makes it so you don't have to push yourself to that next stop if your not feeling up to it, or stopping when you still got plenty in the tank.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 AM
goo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

naw, too risky.
you could have a flat.
you could burn out a light bulb.
you could hit a deer.
it might rain.
i'd play it safe if I was you.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:01 AM
sjef
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Ride it, the wife and I ride the RK from Jersey to the west coast of Flordia and back often. Make it a trip, take a few days and some scenic routes. I try to stay off of 95 or 85. We did the Blue Ridge and Skyline Drive twice. One time just took US19 pretty much the entire trip into western PA. Visited our daughter in Pittsburg then took US 30 all the way home. I never make reservations, just ride until we feel like stopping.

Quick Reply: Moving from NY to FL