General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vacation problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:42 PM
wayslow
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vacation problems

I am on a 10 day ride and am in Walla Walla, WA visiting one of my sons. Just checked my oil and I'm Low...also noticed some grease oozing out of the bottom of the steering neck. Nearest Harley dealer that I know of is 50 miles from here.
There is a Honda dealership close...am I correct in assuming that they would have Amsoil in stock? If not, I can use another brand but would like to use Amsoil.
I'm 200 miles from home, wondering if I can wait til I get home to my indie to address the leaking grease (probly a seal?) or have it looked at in Kennewick?

Old 06-06-2013, 11:55 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't worry about the steering neck grease. From your picture, it looks like you have a softail and they have a Zerk fitting in the neck that you fill up the neck to lube the bearings. There are no seals in there. Sometimes mine will ooze when the temperature gets a little warmer.

Re: the Amsoil, some auto parts stores carry Amsoil in a special section for motorcycles. You can try Autozone or O'Reilly's. Hope this helps.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 AM
hyperfocal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are u sure the oil is low? Double check the oil. I thought the same thing, I was checking my oil on the jiffy stand and engine cold. Dip stick showing low on oil. Turns out the oil was checking good. My first time to check my oil on jiffy stand and engine cold. Harley has two different check points according to owners manual. One for cold and one for hot. It only shows the hot marks on dip stick, not the cold marks. You have to know this when you are checking oil.

I have a 2009 EGC touring model, may be different on yours.

As far as grease oozing out, I believe that is normal. Especially when the weather is hot.

Just from my experience, hope everything turns out good.

Hyper

Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 AM
wayslow
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm much obliged for the quick responses...
Weather has been in the 90's here in WA, so I guess that explains the grease. I did have my bike warmed up when I checked the oil, but also had it on the kickstand...but I'm sure it's low, the oil just touched the bottom of the dipstick. No problem getting the oil in the morning.
Thanks again, I'll sleep a little better tonight.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:24 AM
hyperfocal
Road Master

Originally Posted by wayslow
I'm much obliged for the quick responses...
Weather has been in the 90's here in WA, so I guess that explains the grease. I did have my bike warmed up when I checked the oil, but also had it on the kickstand...but I'm sure it's low, the oil just touched the bottom of the dipstick. No problem getting the oil in the morning.
Thanks again, I'll sleep a little better tonight.
Good night, she will be waiting on you in the morning. Wait one min., it is morning. Man, I better go to bed, myself.

Hyper

Old 06-07-2013, 05:07 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Go to the auto parts store and get some Mobil 1 15/50 synthetic. Top off and carry oil when traveling away from home with a big displacement air cooled motor.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

For the little amount your gonna put in,any close weight syn. will work.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:09 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Go to the auto parts store and get some Mobil 1 15/50 synthetic. Top off and carry oil when traveling away from home with a big displacement air cooled motor.
I switched to Mobil 1 15W50 from Amsoil many years ago because I wouldn't have to carry oil when on a road trip. You can find Mobil 1 everywhere.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Isn't there a hot and cold level on the dipstick? It seems like I remember seeing that. I've checked my but not often enough for my memory to kick in to know.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 PM
hyperfocal
Road Master

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Isn't there a hot and cold level on the dipstick? It seems like I remember seeing that. I've checked my but not often enough for my memory to kick in to know.
If I am not mistaken, there are hot marks on the dip stick only. I had to go to the owners manual to find where the oil should rest if you are checking on jiffy stand and engine cold.

2009 EGC

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am getting older and sometimes I just don't see as well as I use too.

Hyper

Quick Reply: vacation problems