General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold the Big Dog and getting back on a HD

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:39 PM
moog5050
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sold the Big Dog and getting back on a HD

Puchasing a street glide. Loved the chopper, but time to get back to my riding roots. Picking her up on Friday.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:55 PM
jwhardin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okie dokie. enjoy.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,744 Likes on 2,699 Posts

Choppers are so last year. Baggers are the new fad. Welcome.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Choppers are so last year. Baggers are the new fad. Welcome.
So can we expect baggers/touring bikes to be "last year" in the near future? I think in a few years it will to some degree. Once a bunch of guys realize they've rode less than 10k during that time, they'll go back to standard cruisers.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Right on!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 PM
cmeaney
Road Captain

Welcome back.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:09 PM
DPelletier
Tourer

Originally Posted by DYNAmiteBuzz
So can we expect baggers/touring bikes to be "last year" in the near future? I think in a few years it will to some degree. Once a bunch of guys realize they've rode less than 10k during that time, they'll go back to standard cruisers.
Nope, not all baggers, just the ones with 21" front wheels, dropped rears, extended bags, apes, etc.

...like any customizing fad, this one has a shelf life. Stock touring bikes will do just fine.

Dave

Old 07-09-2013, 02:10 PM
fourhour
Tourer

Sad really. My close buddy rides his year-round here in Central Mass. He has a nitrous system and is very skilled at using it. But, it breaks down frequently and can be costly when it does. Yesterday it was front wheel bearings so it was down for two days. Plus side is he's a superb bike mechanic so he can "Ride it like he stole it!"

Good luck with your new Harley!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:13 PM
moog5050
Tourer

Honestly I have no complaints about the Big Dog. It was a great, reliable bike. I did get tired of all the attention after a while and simply wanted a change. I think the street glide will work well for me for some time to come. I do like that Harleys never really look dated, but that's not why I made the change. It was just time and I am happy to be back. I could care less about fads or what others think of my bike, as long as I like it.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:51 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Nope, not all baggers, just the ones with 21" front wheels, dropped rears, extended bags, apes, etc.

...like any customizing fad, this one has a shelf life. Stock touring bikes will do just fine.

Dave
My least favorite bikes are the customized baggers you mentioned. The 21" wheels are conservative. I've seen them as big as 26". But aside from the customized baggers, it seems that more and more touring bikes are on the road, but not nearly as many riders who tour.

I was at a BBQ this past weekend. Once everyone rolled in there was 12 bikes lined up against the fencing. 9 batwings, 2 Road Kings, and my Softail. lol I didn't know anyone there other than the person I went with, but after talking to them and listening to their conversations I had good reason to believe that every bike there (other than mine) was used primarily as a bar hopper. Which is cool if that's what someone wants, but I can't see why someone would buy one just for local riding.

Quick Reply: Sold the Big Dog and getting back on a HD