General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First crash, Crash bar worked, Lucky guy

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 03:05 AM
dbc58
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First crash, Crash bar worked, Lucky guy

After 40 years of riding, 5700 miles into a 6000 mile, two week solo trip, I navigated through a flat tire, rain, lightning, hail, wind, Chicago, Tail of the Dragon in the rain, and Amarillo without a problem I finally joined the club. I dropped it on an on ramp to I 40 in Needles. This happened 3 weeks ago but I've been to irritated to post about it.
There was wet silt at the bottom of the J street ramp left over from the rainstorms. What I didn't realize is that the silt wasn't just at the bottom but ran about 12 feet up the ramp, at least 5 to 6 inches deep. I got through about 8 feet of it an thought I was out of it. I made a minor right turn just touching the throttle and the rear tire popped out from under me. My right foot got trapped under the saddlebag as the bike rolled over onto my ankle. This all happened at about 15 MPH.
I was stuck for a few minutes but was finally able to get my leg free. When I stood up I decided to see if I could put weight on my foot. It made 3 ominous popping noises and the pain subsided a little bit. It felt like my ankle was made of jello, but I could kind of stand on it.
I tried to flag down some help, but the first two pickups just sailed on by. Fortunately, a guy in a green Jeep made a U-turn and came back to help me. With his help, I got the bike righted and was able to get it started again.
There is not much in Needles and no way to secure the bike and all my stuff if I had to go to a hospital, not to mention getting the bike home without a lot of hassle. I was only 225 miles from home on a Saturday afternoon so I tossed my leg over and decided to just go for it. Hit a Mohave wind/sand storm halfway to Barstow and had to stop for gas once.
When I got to the shop, I put the bike in and took off my boot to survey the damage. My ankle was swollen to about the size of a football. ER time. I wound up with a broken leg (fibula) and a lot of pain. Got lucky so no road rash or surgery as the bones are aligned. They gave me a crutches and a splint. Had to go back for a calf high cast on Tuesday.
The bike (2007 Fatboy) faired much better than I did. Luckily I decided to install a crash bar and highway pegs before the trip It definitely saved the bike and probably saved my leg from more damage. I haven't been able to do a close inspection, but it looks like the only casualty is the bracket for the right highway peg and some minor scuffing on the right saddlebag. Hopefully the crash bar isn't bent. The floorboard was flipped up, but it just folded back down when I stepped on it.
Now it's just three more weeks in a cast and I can get back to the business of riding again. I'd be riding now (It's only the rear brake foot) but my old lady said if I break the other leg, I'm on my own.
Thanks to the guy in the Jeep, sorry I didn't get your name.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:17 AM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry man it stinks to go down. It happens to all of us and I am glad for you that it was not worse. Been there done that sandblast thing out there by Calico.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:52 AM
Who Dey
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, that sucks. Glad you're ok.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:23 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very glad you came through it...Not fun, been there, same thing, riding 40 years, sand over and entire corner...As long as you get fixed up right, the hardware can always be fixed, replaced or UPGRADED...Ride safe.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:02 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Glad you're on the mend! Don't beat yourself up. When you're out there really doing it; sometimes stuff happens.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:12 AM
45fan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you are healing up! It happens, HD is working 3 shifts making bikes and parts, just take care of the leg.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:30 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Sucky deal, but you are the classic "iron man" to tough-out the final trek. Glad you made it home OK & the leg will heal. Rest up!

Old 09-14-2013, 08:23 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

That's a ton of bad stuff to go/ride through in a short time but considering the miles, I guess it's normal. Glad you made it!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad you're ok and thanks for sharing your story.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your trouble, and glad to hear about a guy that was man enough to step outside his own business to help out. Too many distracted, thoughtless, self centered kids running around in adult bodies these days.

Hope ya heal fully and are riding before the weather starts turning. Sounds like ya live in a mild climate so you'll be fine when ya feel better.

If the bike does need some work, consider it opportunity for upgrades.

Quick Reply: First crash, Crash bar worked, Lucky guy