General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for a Newbie Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 04:37 AM
thebeginning
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for a Newbie!

Hey all,

I'm a tad new to riding (1-2 years), and DEFINITELY a newbie to HD (1-2 days).

I'm addicted to riding, but feel a bit like an idiot with a lot of things, so I thought I'd ask for some advice.

1. What advice would you give your newbie self? About maintenance, safety, mindset, customization, everything.

2. What stupid mistakes and cringe-worthy decisions did you or do most newbie riders make?

3. And a big question for me that I'm sure I'll make full post for in the future: How do I get started it learning maintenance?

I've never really done mechanical work, have very few tools, and a small garage (mostly lived in apartments until now). I don't need to weld or bend pipes or anything, but I do want to know how to go about doing basic maintenance and even some customization myself (doggone HD labor costs).

What tools should I always keep on my bike?

More annoying questions will follow, I'm sure.

Any tips are much appreciated.

Last edited by thebeginning; 10-12-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:18 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 702 Likes on 353 Posts

Well, as a "new newbie" rider (I rode from age 7 to 25 then started again 2 years ago at age 48) I can tell you THIS is THE place to get the answers to your questions.

Maintenance starts with a genuine HD shop manual.

Tools on the bike. Search that question here. You'll get many opinions. I personally carry 2 types of screw driver's, electrical tape, fix a flat, small compressor, hex wrench set, jumper cables, flashlight and a first aid kit.

Good luck and ride safe.

Last edited by traildog; 10-12-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:02 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Man, you have just about covered the gamut with that guestion. I'm sure people will chime in with advice but if I were you I would spend about five hours sitting here searching and reading. There is TONS of information and answers about everything you asked.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:07 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,501 Likes on 1,250 Posts

As someone who has been riding for 40 years, first congrats and hope it becomes a lifelong passion for you as it has for me. Taught many people how to ride over the years and here are some first steps.
1. Hope you have taken a motorcycle safety riding course. If not, contact your local community college or dmv and do it. Its well worth it.
2. Understand its easy to learn how to operate a motorcycle but takes years to become a good rider. Its easier if you have an experienced friend to ride with to pick up good riding tips.
3. Your safety is your responsibility and sooner or later, everyone drops a bike. Most accidents happen in the first couple of years of riding and usually within 3 miles of home.
4. HD has premade tool kits to carry onboard, you can buy them online or at any dealer.
5. Start by learning how to do preventative maintenance, bike manual is a must.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:08 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

The H-D manual, not Clymer's.
Be respectful of your maintenance tasks but not fearful.
Have fun with it.
Try to plan your work for a time you won't be rushed. (emergencies do happen though)
Ride like everyone is out to kill you/can't see you.
Cringe worthy- Thinking that the Kuryakyn catalog is full of cool stuff at first.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Ratbike_Mike
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. As suggested, take the MSF course. They'll teach you thinks like emergency breaking, defensive riding and other things that can save your life.

2. Always look over your scoot for any possible issues before you jump on and take off.

3. Go at your own pace. Don't be too eager to join group rides or keep up with your maniac friends if you're not comfortable enough, and if you do happen to ride in a group be sure they know about your limited experience so they can accommodate.

4. Maintenance can be simple or it can be complex. The same for "customization". Don't know if you bought new or used, but with a new HD you'll want to be sure you're not voiding any warranties by doing your own maintenance/upgrades on it. Otherwise:

Maintenance: You'll want the shop manual and not just the owner's manual for your model HD. The owner's has a few tidbits, but the shop manual has all of the info you need for proper maintenance procedures. You can start with oil and chain maintenance which is pretty simple. I would reserve more complex stuff for the winter when you have plenty of time and you're not pressed to get back out there.

Customization: This is really up to you. Just be aware that making any changes in something like exhaust pipes will often require some tuning in the gas/air ratio. Changes in forks or wheels/tires can change rake and trail measurements, which will change your steering characteristics and so on. It would be a good idea to read up on all of the different types of measurements that are on a motorcycle and all about the 4 things needed for your bike to run (fuel, air, spark and compression).

Tools to Carry With You: My ride is nearly 50 years old and always requires a little tweak here and there. It's a unique beast and each bike will have it's own issues just the same. I've somewhat become a pro at packing the right tools into a small handle-bar bag based on my ride, yours may require a few different things. Aside from a cell phone and a bank card, my tool bag includes the following:

Wire stripper/cutter, 2 adjustable wrenches, needle nose pliers, spark plug wrench, extra spark plugs, wire brush, various screwdrivers, hex key set, knife, small flashlight & extra batteries, zip ties, small roll of bailing wire, electrical tape, small roll of duct tape, 2 alligator clip electrical jumpers, hose clamps, misc. screws & bolts that are common on my bike, a few rags, some quick dry epoxy, 1 small flask of extra oil and 1 small flask of extra gasoline. I'm sure there are a few other things in there I've forgotten about too.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:59 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Aside from maintenance...remember that you're invisible to everyone out there.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:39 AM
limeyhusker
Advanced

I will leave it to others to add their years of experienced advice.

My most embarrassing mistake is dropping the bike....I think that is something most of us can identify with. I found out over time that it is after filling the gas tank and pulling out of the gas station that a drop is most possible. The change in Center of Gravity after filling up really caught me out the first couple of times. Especially after switching to a MUCH heavier bike than I was used to!

Old 10-12-2013, 10:15 AM
ringofld
Tourer

When people standing around ask you to show off. (Go fast,pop wheelie,lay rubber...whatever)
Don't!!!!!

Old 10-12-2013, 10:44 AM
EasyGT
Cruiser

1. Everyone IS out to kill you
2.Complacency kills absolutely
3.find your own way, find your own style, attempting to placate other to "fit in" like you did as a kid will only make you look like a fool.
4. falls WILL happen how you get up and dust your self off is up to you.

and p.s. WELCOME this place is a wealth of experience and knowledge.

Quick Reply: Advice for a Newbie Please!