General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:21 AM
Drifting Texas
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So???

You’ve decided you were about to have a wreck. In that split second you were able to determine that laying your motorcycle down would save you’re a$$ over trying to ride it out and maybe using you’re your skill avoid the wreck all together.

You picked a direction and launched an 800 plus pound torpedo safely off the road in to this lush green pasture without it hitting anything or anybody. You’re a freaking hero.

My thought is how the hell do you avoid getting run over by a car while you are sliding across the asphalt?

Old 03-12-2007, 01:40 AM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: So???

This has been a hot topic on the foum the past few days. What most of the guys who have been riding for much longer than I have will want to know is what is the technique for laying one down? I have crashed, but never layed one down. Not sure I could do it on purpose. I'll have to stick it out till the end and see if I cant pull it out.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

As far as I am concerned,if you have enough time to think about laying it down,you just might have enough time to help lessen the damage.I have many close calls and have had to take evasive actions,and never once thought about laying the bike down.My instinct is wired to try and avoid it as much as I am able.Of course I only ride in rural Maine.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:01 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[sm=deadhorse.gif]

Old 03-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see layingit down as an option that your reflexes will resort to. We all react under stress by resorting to our training - under extreme stress you aren't capable of "thinking" about something, you react and go into auto-pilot and do what you've trained to do by instinct. Therefore I don't see it happening intentionally. When faced with a panic moment you do your best to avoid it using your developed skills/instinct and wits. At the very least you reduce your impact speed and that will hopefully reduce your level of injury too.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 AM
IOMC Qball
Tourer

ORIGINAL: whaap

[sm=deadhorse.gif]
LMAO........Somebody ain't got much going on in their life. I think we've foundthe one mess within Texas

Old 03-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Drifting Texas

My thought is how the hell do you avoid getting run over by a car while you are sliding across the asphalt?
Well...thats an easy one.

You roll out of the slideand pop-up to a squatting position...When you see that you are about to get run-over, youquickly lay as flat as possible and let the oncoming vechile go over you without injury. Then, you quickly roll to the next lane of traffic, andagain pop-up to a squatting position. You pull the gun from the backof your waistband as the trailer that is 'jack-knifing' narrowly misses you....

While you are running full-stride back to your bike (which will have no damage @ all), you unload all138 rounds from your Glock (without swapping clips) at the guy who made you crash...This is where you have to be really careful. Gunfire will be returned - so you need to deftly duck behind your windshield to avoid getting hit (but the bullets will chip your paint)...Say something witty to your self about now.

While taking-off, you'll need to do a burnout, and also fire off a few more rounds. Use caution when riding thru a possibleexplosion (caused by stray bullets)...Ride directly to your supermodel/stripper/bio-chemical scientist girlfriends house - she will be laying by the pool topless. Say something witty agian, then drag her into the water for some hot sex...

At least that what I do in the situation.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jumpman, what is the name of the movie your writing?? I really want to see that one.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bear64

Jumpman, what is the name of the movie your writing?? I really want to see that one.
That has not happened to everyone?

Old 03-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Snobal
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Drifting Texas

You’ve decided you were about to have a wreck. In that split second you were able to determine that laying your motorcycle down would save you’re a$$ over trying to ride it out and maybe using you’re your skill avoid the wreck all together.

You picked a direction and launched an 800 plus pound torpedo safely off the road in to this lush green pasture without it hitting anything or anybody. You’re a freaking hero.

Sorry but I can't help you with how to avoid being run over.

However, since Jumpman turned this thread into "story time".........

One spring eveningfive of uswere coming out of the mountains - right after they re-opened the road. The road was mostly dry,but hadwet spots where the snow banks beside the road were melting.With evening coming on - the wet spots were freezing.

I was third in the packcoming down the mountain - Berry and Kal were up front riding side by side.

So Berry hit some ice justas he and Kal wereenteringa hard left turn. Berrystartedto go down -then recovered as his tires regained traction on thedry pavement past the ice patch. Traction is normallya good thing, but Berry'sbike was no longing going the same direction as the road.

As Berry regained traction, he shot off the road across the other lane and off a smallembankment. No guard rail, no ditch, just a 10 foot drop off toward a creek bed.....

I was following Berry and when I saw him slip, then shoot off the road, I began stopping my bike (we werehauling it coming down the road - getting cold you know). I figured wehad just lost a good friend.

But before I could get stopped,I see that Berry had gunned it as he went over the cliff. I have no idea what was going through Berry'smind at this time butsnow, sagebrush, and trash wereflying as he plowed alongthe creek bank. We had been in a hard left turn and the road was now in front of Berry. He stayed on the throttle andpopped up the embankmentabout 100 feet down the road from where he went off.

Kal alsoslowed when Berry shot off the road, then continued down the mountain watching asBerry plowed through the sagebrush, then re-appeared on the road,next to Kal, in about the same position he was riding when hehit the ice patch.

The two of themjust rode on down the mountain like they did $hit like that every day.

Years later, we are still laughing about it.

I'd guess that the moral of this story is - When in doubt, gun it!

Quick Reply: So???