General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on FXDWG3

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 06:08 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Opinions on FXDWG3

Hey guys,

I'm going to look at a 2002 FXDWG3 tomorrow. It has 8,000 miles and looks CLEAN.

My biggest concerns:

- Every bike I've had has been fuel injected. This is carb'ed. Any issues there?
- Cam chain tensioners - I know they need to be replaced/upgraded fairly soon. Is this a big project?
- The 5 speed transmission. How does it compare to the 6 speed?

Are there any other conerns I should have in this bike?

I really LOVE the bike. My buddy had a 2001 FXDWG2 and I just LOVED it.

Since its considered to be a CVO model, does it have any different engine modifications compared to the stock 88 c.i. motor?

Thanks,
Adrian

Last edited by AdrianVall; 12-20-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:34 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Anyone? I could really use some input before I leave to see it in the morning.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:49 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

My GF has a 2002 FXDWG3 that I take care of servicing, etc. I put in S&S 510 gear drive cams in her bike so she didn't need to worry about the tensioner shoes ever again. She has 45k on the bike and it has run flawlessly for her. It also is carb'ed, but so is my bike, and is very easy to re-jet if necessary. Depending on the price, I'd buy it....no doubt about it!

Now, regarding your question of the 5 speed vs. 6 speed transmission. According to a friend of mine, who is a Harley-Davidson Master Mechanic, the 5 speed transmission in the Twin Cam is the best transmission Harley has ever made. Since I know the quality of his work, I trust what he said implicitly!

I don't know if there was any significant difference in that year CVO, as they really didn't start selling the CVO's with larger engines until later in the CVO program. I do know the air cleaner was not the restricted type and the exhaust was different than the stock pipes. Other than that, I believe the differences were purely cosmetic.

If you are worried about the tensioners, they can be changed out to either the newer hydraulic type or gear drive for about $750-$1000, if you can find a good indy shop to do the work. I order the gear drive complete kit and did the work myself.

Hope this answered your questions........at least the best I could!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:46 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2002 WideGlide is a Killer bike . I would love my WideGlide to be on a Carb .
As long as it runs well I will let is be Fuel Injected . The reason is simple I can work on a Carb for cheap .

Old 12-20-2013, 10:13 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

How much are they asking for it? My biggest concern would be if the mileage is accurate. Yes there is/ can be a problem withe the tensioners but lots of people have gotten way more miles than 8000 on them just fine....im not saying that they are fine as i would check them out if i bought the bike BUT they very well could be fine and most likely aint gonna grenade on you tomorrrow. About the carb, theyve been making carbs forever thats nothing to worry.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:33 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,354 Likes on 2,371 Posts

The 2002 engine is one of the strongest HD has put together, 8k on the cam chain tensioners is okay for now. I'd check them around 20K. Carb is the way to get a nice idle, in the future do a little tuning on the carb, gravity won't let you down as for as fuel delivery.. Another good project is to install/have installed a 95" kit with some mild cams, I've got 203 cams in my 2002 FXD with the 95" kit and it scoots right along. The six speed tranny is nice but you'll be alright with the 5 speed.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:06 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts
Default Here's my 2002

33k miles runs great and looks great. I think anyway.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:33 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Can't comment on the cam chain tensioners as I have no clue.

But as far as carbs are concerned you have no worries there. Yes, Fuel injection brings some plusses with very few true negatives but modern carbs are very dependable as well. Especially if you are riding the bike fairly regularly.

I have six gears and cant even use the 6th unless I am on the interstate. I wouldn't be too concerned over that.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:04 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

If it's clean, no rust, clean title, no repaint, and you can get it for around $4500 it might be a good deal.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:10 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
If it's clean, no rust, clean title, no repaint, and you can get it for around $4500 it might be a good deal.
That would definitely be a good deal here by a couple of grand.

Quick Reply: Opinions on FXDWG3