General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viking bags

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 01:46 PM
DLEinsig
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viking bags

I ordered VLX51S and I got them today. My question for anyone who ordered them before. Do your bags have a different key for each bag meaning the bags are not keyed the same? I called Viking bags and talked to someone there and they said that's how they are and they can't key them the same. I can't be the only person to complain about that issue. Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:26 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Yep....each bag has it's own specially keyed key. And if you have the quick disconnect mo9unt, each side has it's own key. That's 4 keys to keep up with!

I was told the same thing when I called and asked. Also, guard those things with your life! If lost Viking can not replace them. I was told I'd have to have a locksmith make new keys. Luckily I found the backup set but still plan to have new ones made...just in case.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:38 PM
marcortez
Tourer

FYI......FWIW.....Viking bags are Saddlemen bags re-branded.....or the other way around.

I wrote Viking about this a week ago and no response.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:42 PM
DLEinsig
Stage IV

It think it is ridiculous that they are keyed different. I just got off the phone with customer service and he basically told me that's how they are. He did tell me that Viking doesn't manufacture the bags there all they are is a distributor. The bags are made overseas and shipped to them and then out to the customer.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:09 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Viking bags VLC900P and both bags use the same key. That sucks that yours don't.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:13 PM
DLEinsig
Stage IV

Yeah it sucks. I really like them I just wish the locks were the same. I found a similar lock on Home Depots website. I am going to see if they will work so I have them keyed alike. Just sucks to spend the money I did to swap out the locks since Viking claims they can't do that

Old 01-02-2014, 06:18 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

That different key issue really is absurd. But IMO, they're really nice quality bags at a very fair price. The synthetic leather looks great and holds up a lot better than real leather, and the bags are very stout once mounted.

I bought a set for my Sporty about a year ago. And once I get my FXR, I'll be certain to buy another set. I seldom use the key locks anyway.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by DLEinsig
Yeah it sucks. I really like them I just wish the locks were the same. I found a similar lock on Home Depots website. I am going to see if they will work so I have them keyed alike. Just sucks to spend the money I did to swap out the locks since Viking claims they can't do that
The idea of two different keys on a set of saddlebags is f&#*ing asinine. It also sounds like Viking won't give a straight answer as to why they do this. But...

Aren't they just standard tubular locks (like a Harley ignition)? Why not just have a locksmith rekey one of them to match the other?

It would seem that would be much less expensive than purchasing new locks, rekeying them and installing them.

Last edited by Bone Doc; 01-02-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:04 PM
DLEinsig
Stage IV

Yeah they are a tubular type key. The keys from Home Depot are $6 each so for $12 I can have them keyed alike. I don't understand why Viking doesn't just have them keyed alike. I wish Viking would step up and make it right but it looks as if they just don't care. The only options they gave me were to return them or live with it.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:12 PM
evohog
Advanced

Yes, it is absurd to have different keys. But as said before, they are nice bags for a great price. I'm planning on visiting a locksmith and see what he can do.

Quick Reply: Viking bags