General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaresz
Until I read this thread I had no idea there were dealers out there that wouldn't allow a test drive!
Same here. A lot of metric dealers I've been to in the past were a different story.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:08 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I believe Rossmeyer's in Ft Lauderdale (now closed) would not let you test ride because it was a nightmare getting out on to the 6 lane highway from their parking lot. The driveway was concealed by a bend in the road with cars coming towards you at 40-50mph. I used to hate leaving that dealership on 2 wheels.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:17 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

I've never had an issue with test rides at HD dealers in my area but local metric shop gives no test rides. I wanted to give a wing a ride before i got my king to see what it was like metric dealer said he has to do sale agreement first in case something happens but if I didn't like it he'd tear up the papers. I left went to HD rode everything I wanted and got my king

Old 03-11-2014, 07:11 PM
rspiteri
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to a local dealer here in Ct on a Saturday. They told me to make an appointment for the following week, 2 bikes max, a sales rep would ride along, and the test ride would be about 5 min. Bring DL with M endorsement, insurance and they will do a credit app 1st. The following Sat. I went to another dealer, they started pulling new bikes out of the showroom. I only took 2 for a ride, 20 miles each, and decided on a Heritage classic. The sales rep was disappointed I only rode 2, told me I could take as many as I wanted and could spend all day on demos if I wanted. Needless to say, the 1st dealer will never see me again.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Pappy1
Road Captain

Mine asked me to ride it...and when I was there having some work done the 14"s just came in....The owner handed me the keys to a new SG and said ride it...I laughed and said Nah....I would want to buy it then...he laughed and said that's the point...Some do I guess...Some Don't

Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rspiteri
i went to a local dealer here in ct on a saturday. They told me to make an appointment for the following week, 2 bikes max, a sales rep would ride along, and the test ride would be about 5 min. Bring dl with m endorsement, insurance and they will do a credit app 1st. The following sat. I went to another dealer, they started pulling new bikes out of the showroom. I only took 2 for a ride, 20 miles each, and decided on a heritage classic. The sales rep was disappointed i only rode 2, told me i could take as many as i wanted and could spend all day on demos if i wanted. Needless to say, the 1st dealer will never see me again.
what dealers was this ?

Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 PM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwillie
what dealers was this ?
I`d like to know also.

We bought are FLHT because of a test ride.Rode into the dealership on our Softail,then just poked around.Glanced at the FLHT;next thing we know,it was outside running,and within a mile,we knew we were buying the bike.

Best part of buying that bike was kicking the salesmans *** on price;this dealer is known for sticking it in peoples asses;not ours though.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:51 PM
charloo
Cruiser

Arrowhead had in Arizona, they also marked their parts up10% higher then Scottsdale HD, needless to say I made my parts purchases at Scottsdale. Have nothing but good things to say about Scottsdale.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Horry S.A.M.
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took a buddy to the dealer I bought mine from about a month ago. They pulled a new SGS off the floor and took it outside for him to drive. Told him to go ride and get some lunch. He went back today and bought one but the didn't have the color he wanted. The tried to give him the one he test drove as a loaner til his comes in on Saturday. Told us when we came up for service again, they'd give us loaners to ride around or go eat while ours were being done. Beach House HD is awesome!