General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:25 PM
charloo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test ride

How many dealerships do not allow a purchaser to take the bike they are purchasing for a test ride prior to buying?

Old 03-11-2014, 12:27 AM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I've heard of people in the past saying they couldn't get a test ride. Some dealers may demand to see an endorsement or maybe insurance...dunno.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:46 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

My dealership wanted me to ride 7 bikes before I made up my mind. I only wanted to ride 2, one of which I instantly disliked. I guess it depends on how bad they want to make the sale.

They did make a copy of my license and I had to fill out some test ride paperwork and they made me wear a helmet.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:40 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

havent had a problem with harley dealers when i ride in and say "im thinking of trading in my bike for x, and i want to test ride it".

alot of metric dealers dont let ya testride or only do if they have something used.

could also be perception. you should see salesmen scramble to help you when you roll into the lot in a bmw 650i vs the solitude of a beat up civic.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:19 AM
Techgnosis
Advanced

Any dealer who won't let you do a test drive (assuming you have current licence and insurance) doesn't want your money, go somewhere else. Seriously, your gonna give someone $20-40k for something you haven't thoroughly checked out? **** that.
I went into the local Indian dealer when the new Indians came out just out of curiosity, and I told the sales guy I was just looking, I was gonna be buying a Harley soon, didnt matter he was shoving keys in my hand.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:44 AM
PaiN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My HD dealer pushes test rides. If I go in and sit on a bike for more than 2 seconds, one of the associates will be asking if I want to "try it out".

Old 03-11-2014, 05:32 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PaiN
My HD dealer pushes test rides. If I go in and sit on a bike for more than 2 seconds, one of the associates will be asking if I want to "try it out".
Yup, exactly. Sometimes I try to avoid looking interested in a bike, especially if I'm just there for parts. The next thing I know, they're trying to wheel it outside for me to take for a ride. ALTHOUGH, it wasn't always that way. I've been going there for years and I'm not so sure that they are that way with an "unknown" person, right off the street.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:31 AM
charloo
Cruiser

Thought it was strange when the dealer wouldn't let me test ride, considering I was a signature away from signing. They knew I had my endorsement and I was gonna trade in my FXDX. Needless to say I walked when the wouldn't let me test the road glide. Glad I kept my bike, now just have to wait for the new RG to come out.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The dealer I went to first said no to a test ride so I walked. I knew what I wanted so I bought one over the phone from a dealer a hundred miles away. It was the point of Corporate saying come in to a dealer and demo a bike then the dealer saying no. Funny I ride by that dealer frequently but have never stepped foot in it again.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 AM
RatPwrd72
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There are 2 dealers local to me, 1 allows test rides without any fuss, the other might let you ride "if" you have an approved credit app.... First red flag for me since I didn't intend to finance through HD. After some discussion, still no test ride even though i expressed my intent to buy a bike on the spot. Went to the other guys, test rode a RK and then a SG in a different color because they didn't have a Red unit in stock. No hassles, put about 20 miles on each of the bikes they rolled off the floor for me to demo. It really did make a huge difference for me in where I spent my money.

Quick Reply: Test ride