General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How or where to store your table lift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How or where to store your table lift?

I need a table lift occassionally/frequently but not really enough to keep one up all the time for a dedicated bike bay. Collapsed they are around 8" high with a rather large foorprint and just tall enough to fall over and always be in the way.

Does everyone keep theirs up and use them that frequently? I'm sure I'm like many others here that are just too old to scramble around on the concrete floor anymore for occasional service and repair work.

Park a car over it when not in use. Lay it up on its side. Stand it up on its end aginst the wall? Keep it in place, drop it and just park another bike on the table in a locking wheel chock?

Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 420 Likes on 298 Posts

I sold mine a couple years ago just for that reason. Too bulky. I didn't get enough use out of it,and it is just about a two man job to lift it and store it against the wall.
I've had two different cars,too low to drive over it,my 4x4 pickup would go over it,but it stays outside.
i even thought about hoisting it to the ceiling when not in use,too risky. The only thing that would have worked in my case,would be to store it outside or in the shed,but there again you are man-handling a lot of weight,moving that thing around.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

bought a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift, that stores very flat. About 4 inches high, so it stores under my work bench.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 AM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I plan to cut a hole in the garage floor so that my lift will drop flush with the floor. I think I can rent a concrete saw for about 50 bucks and a jack hammer for the same. Gonna dig out enough under the slab to pour concrete back in to the height that makes lift flush with the floor.
Probably have to sneak this one in since wifey will probably freak about the dust from cutting the floor. MIght even build little frame to throw plastic sheeting over for containment
Probably a couple months away but will post pics when done

Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by keith t
I plan to cut a hole in the garage floor so that my lift will drop flush with the floor. I think I can rent a concrete saw for about 50 bucks and a jack hammer for the same. Gonna dig out enough under the slab to pour concrete back in to the height that makes lift flush with the floor.
Probably have to sneak this one in since wifey will probably freak about the dust from cutting the floor. MIght even build little frame to throw plastic sheeting over for containment

I thought of doing this as well but would need something substantial to cover the lift because of the huge amount of salt used on Vermont roads. Not to mention the mud from the wet gravel roads I live on. J&S is the better solution for me as much as I'd love to have that table at times. I would love to see your pics when you are done though?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 AM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am going to try it in a month or two. I do kind of wonder if losing the 8 inches to make the lift flush with the floor will be a pain because the bike won't be high enough.
Picking up the lift next week and will have to test it out on the height. Really hope it works, don't want if its just sitting on the floor.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,265 Likes on 8,546 Posts

Originally Posted by keith t
Unless you have hydralics to lift it, pumping the foot pedal to raise it will be a major PITA.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Unless you have hydralics to lift it, pumping the foot pedal to raise it will be a major PITA.
Yeah I'd skip the manual pump up model and opt for the pneumatic controlled lift.

Post those pics...of the wife when she sees your project in motion.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My Handy lift stays in the same place all the time. That thing's heavy and moving it around just for storage just ain't in the cards (unless you like changing your shorts every time you move it).

Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

My garage serves double duty. A pit under one of the vehicles in the winter would quickly turn into a catch pool. Even with drains.

Quick Reply: How or where to store your table lift?