General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting an MC the right way..need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Starting an MC the right way..need advice

So we have about 15 friends that ride together here is So. Cal and we have been kicking around the idea to start an MC not the 1%'er type but the 99% type, mainly for others like ourselves that work during the week and like to go on runs on the weekends, we all have other friends that would join as well.

Now living in So. Cal we have a few 1% clubs HA's, Mongols, Vagos , Hessians to name a few and it is my understanding in order to start an MC the right way the first step other than thinking up a name and a patch one must go to the Confederation of Clubs (COC) to seek approval.

It is also my understanding that the group of guys that makeup the COC are liaisons from the 1% clubs in So. Cal. So wanting to do this the right way because we do not want us (the original 15) or future members to have any problems with the 1%'ers I'm seeking advice on how exactly this is done?

The guy that informed me of the COC only knew of it, he had no other information on how to contact them or what procedures we need to take in order to stand before them and ask for approval.

I am hoping someone here does know..

Last edited by ib5150; 04-09-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out www.rcvsmc.net firstly and read it thouroghly. there is ALOT of leg work to startign a club whether its a 1p a 2p or 3p club and by leg work i mean paper, networking, politics etc. its alot i cannot recomend it enough to check out other existing clubs before deciding on starting you own you may find there is already one out there that you as group fit into well. as for COC contacts here you go

http://www.cocsocal.com/

Last edited by NSCoyote; 04-09-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:29 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by ib5150
So we have about 15 friends that ride together here is So. Cal and we have been kicking around the idea to start an MC not the 1%'er type but the 99% type, mainly for others like ourselves that work during the week and like to go on runs on the weekends, we all have other friends that would join as well.

Now living in So. Cal we have a few 1% clubs HA's, Mongols, Vagos , Hessians to name a few and it is my understanding in order to start an MC the right way the first step other than thinking up a name and a patch one must go to the Confederation of Clubs (COC) to seek approval.

It is also my understanding that the group of guys that makeup the COC are liaisons from the 1% clubs in So. Cal. So wanting to do this the right way because we do not want us (the original 15) or future members to have any problems with the 1%'ers I'm seeking advice on how exactly this is done?

The guy that informed me of the COC only knew of it, he had no other information on how to contact them or what procedures we need to take in order to stand before them and ask for approval.

I am hoping someone here does know..
www.rcvsmc.net

Haole

Old 04-09-2014, 10:30 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,815 Likes on 6,220 Posts

Oh crap. Give it up, Sandman.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I'd watch every episode of Devils Ride, those guys seem to have broken the code about how to organize and run a MC.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

So if it's a 99% club, it's more of a RC...riding club.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Oh crap. Give it up, Sandman.

Was gonna go that route but figured it would get covered if I refrained anyway ....

Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Unit 91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Legit question - if you ride with friends why the hell do you need to make it 'formal' and start a club? There are a grip of them around this area already. Maybe one of those would work for you.

Otherwise, just get out and ride. I had a decent sized group I used to ride with. Never felt the need to belong to a club or the itch to start one.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:08 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
So if it's a 99% club, it's more of a RC...riding club.
Yep, and an RC is a lot easier to start up.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

The correct way is to focus all your questions locally. Nothing on a forum or website will be correct for your area.
Getting face time with members of clubs in your area is the only way to get the truth you need.
PS. The CoC doesn't sanction new clubs regardless of what people say. They may however give you direction as to who does. Many, including members, often misunderstand the mission of the CoC.

Last edited by Mi3ninos; 04-09-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Starting an MC the right way..need advice