Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   anyone never been down ? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/957021-anyone-never-been-down.html)

E8USMCRET 04-12-2014 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by coot58 (Post 12576827)
good point and very glad to hear that..yes i agree its possible,and i certainly hope the case with me,on the other hand to ,spend your life on two wheels and and never take a brody seems unlikely

A friend of mine's Father passed two years ago. He was a retired Navy SEAL Chief Gunners Mate, plankowner of SEAL Team -1, four tours in Vietnam, Navy Cross, 2 Silver Stars, 2 Bronze Stars w/Combat V, Navy Comm w/Combat V, HALO, Scuba, Ranger, Pathfinder and more. Note not one Purple Heart.

Some people are either lucky, skilled, blessed or all three. Let's just hope we can all be safe out there.

coot58 04-12-2014 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET (Post 12576863)
I was telling a guy I know about two real close calls I had recently involving senior citizens. He's a staunch anti cell phone guy and won't even play his radio while driving. He told me that he'd rather get hit by a senior citizen than a young punk that was texting.
I almost gut punched his silly ass right there. I said something to the effect of "what ****ing differenc does it make who, what, where or why someone wiped your ass out only that it happened and you and your bike may never be the same".

yeah,your right there..whoever punches your ticket..the end result is the same

Uncle Larry 04-12-2014 08:37 AM

In 1965 ( we were kids ) an friend and I use to clean a local M/C clubhouse ( in Northwest Detroit ) and one of the thing that sticks out most in my mind was one of the members saying " There's only two kinds of bikers ... Those that have crashed and those that are going to" ... Hopefully yours ( and everyone else's ) is a small one but it's probably going to happen.

coot58 04-12-2014 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry (Post 12576889)
In 1965 ( we were kids ) an friend and I use to clean a local M/C clubhouse ( in Northwest Detroit ) and one of the thing that sticks out most in my mind was one of the members saying " There's only two kinds of bikers ... Those that have crashed and those that are going to" ... Hopefully yours ( and everyone else's ) is a small one but it's probably going to happen.

not wishing it on me and certainly no one else...it just seems so likely..its sooo freakin nice out here in jersey right now..goin fer a ride ..be back later..god willing lol,be safe everyone,later,Everett

hd4evr2008 04-12-2014 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by coot58 (Post 12576438)
seems like every one i talk to has stories of goin down,except me..NOT THAT I WANT ONE !!..i started riding in '67 or '68 ,i was nine or ten racing dirt bikes till i was 18..came off the bike a bunch of times as you would expect in the dirt...started riding street bikes in the early eighty's,there were i few years here and there i didnt ride but i have at least a solid 25 years on the street and about 100,000+ miles under my belt..lots of CLOSE calls...but never went down,now im 56 and thinkin..man this is gonna hurt! lol,,i used to tell my wife its not if i go down..its a matter of when..sh*t happens...but thankfully not yet. i think im a good rider yet i know i have bad habits too and an advanced riders course would be good to point out my bads and sharpen my skills.just wondering if you have had the same luck. i know skill is important,yet there must be some luck envolved...is mine running out ? lol

^^^^^^Same as you! Hit the ground plenty of times while racing dirt, but NEVER on the street, and I'll be 63 in June. I'm not one who believes everyone who rides will crash. Never had a car accident either. Just watch out when riding/driving. I truly believe motorcyclists make better car drivers. We just watch out for things better.

hd4evr2008 04-12-2014 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by PaiN (Post 12576545)
Coot...Bad news brother :icon_emm: There are only three kinds of riders.

1. Those that have gone down.
2. Those that are going down.
3. Those that are going down again.

You're a 2

I don't know how old you are, or how long you've been riding, but that statement is the biggest bunch of *bull* I've ever read. I know plenty of guys who have some serious miles on motorcycles, got old and quit riding, and never crashed even one time. If that's truly what you believe, remind me to never ride with you. If that's truly your experience, no wonder you chose "PaiN' as your screen name! ;)

SYLM 04-12-2014 09:01 AM

Been down twice. Same injury both times. Broken pride and a bruised ego. Have been really lucky hopefully it holds

LiiT 04-12-2014 09:03 AM

Down three times. Two were my fault for riding like an idiot and not knowing when to leave the lick stand down. The third was a "didn't see you".

I've been lucky I guess. Nothing more than a couple broken fingers, bruises, and some road rash so far, but I'm still riding so the best may be yet to come! LOL

LiiT

roofgunner 04-12-2014 09:24 AM

I've been riding since 1970. Went down once(1978) due to a helmet strap being too tight while using a Bell Star 2 helmet and riding a 900 Kaw at three digit speeds down the Silverado trail. The helmet had a lift at speed and cut off enough blood flow and it caused me to black out-AFTER I had slowed down to about 50 mph. I just ran off the road, hit a big assed rock, flipped the bike, bent the frame but the leather jacket , boots and the helmet saved my ass. So live and learn. But I would say your chances of going down depend on what area you ride in like the amount of cages with texting drivers. It seems the causes of bike wrecks are still the left hand turns of cage drivers in front of the bike and alcohol use. The other thing is, and it still happens to me is that on a bike, due to the freedom it gives, the feeling it gives, and even the security it gives is that the riding experience sometimes has the affect of you letting your guard down that can put you in a situation where-by you aren't really paying attention to what you are doing and that may lead you into a path of danger.

hvacgaspiping 04-12-2014 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by bballkking1 (Post 12576727)
I've never really understood this logic. So there is no chance that someone can be a motorcyclist throughout their life (let's say they ride 150,000 miles in their life) and never crash? Everyone who rides a motorcycle is guaranteed to crash? That's not true.

My grandfather rode after he got back from WWII until he was 75, my dad rides, and I ride. None of us have crashed, although 2 of us still make the opportunity frequently. I couldn't tell you our total mileage. I'm not saying we're amazingly skilled or extra safe riders. Maybe lucky, not sure the reason really matters? I'm just arguing that you can ride many miles over the course of your riding career and stay upright. Don't like that saying.

:icon_that: So far so good....