General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Bags

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:44 PM
XFXDX
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tank Bags

Got a few thousand miles coming up. Not satisfied with the storage potential of my saddlebags, thinking tank bag might be a viable option.

Anyone run them? Thanks.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:17 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I loved my tank bag on my GS. Never seen one designed for a Harley.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:25 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have used a tank bag on my bike, but I'm not a fan of it.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:37 PM
coot58
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been thinkin about one myself for new england trip this summer..saw one cheap on leatherup .com...might check it out...think they picture it on a jap harley clone..?it might work

Old 04-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I am a huge fan of them. I use one on all long rides.

Phone, billfold, flashlight, extra sunglasses and clear glasses, reading glasses, camera, ride log if I am on an IBA run, water bottle or two, snacks, Sig 9mm, chargers, iPad, MP3 player, registration and insurance, etc. I've even kept my rain suit rolled up in it for quick access.
Anything that I might need while I am on the road goes in it with the exception of tools.
My bag expands and it is amazing how much I can carry in it when I need to.

I use one that uses magnets and has straps that strap to the forks and the seat to hold it secure. Actually I don't use the back strap and it holds just fine.

If I leave the bike, pop the top strap and grab it by the handle and everything goes with me.

I put down rubber drawer liner that you can get in the silverware area of Walmart to ensure it doesn't mark the tank. It's never left a mark on my black paint.

The top of mine has a map window. I just write exit numbers on a sheet of paper in black marker and slip it in the window.

Find one that expands and has wide or long wings with magnets. The better it reaches around and down the tank the better.

What else do you want to know?

Last edited by Jonesee; 04-17-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:03 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Make sure that the bars do not hit the thing. You could look at a tail bag. less interference and wont scratch up the tank.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Make sure that the bars do not hit the thing. You could look at a tail bag. less interference and wont scratch up the tank.
My handlebars won't turn far enough around to overlap the top of the tank. Maybe some do, but a dyna won't.

I pull the bars back toward me as far as is can until it hits the stops before the turn signals touch the tank. More comfortable for me for distance. Nothing has ever touched the bag. I use the bag as an armrest to lay my arm and rest it.

Last edited by Jonesee; 04-17-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:35 PM
XFXDX
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jonesee
I am a huge fan of them. I use one on all long rides.

Phone, billfold, flashlight, extra sunglasses and clear glasses, reading glasses, camera, ride log if I am on an IBA run, water bottle or two, snacks, Sig 9mm, chargers, iPad, MP3 player, registration and insurance, etc. I've even kept my rain suit rolled up in it for quick access.
Anything that I might need while I am on the road goes in it with the exception of tools.
My bag expands and it is amazing how much I can carry in it when I need to.

I use one that uses magnets and has straps that strap to the forks and the seat to hold it secure. Actually I don't use the back strap and it holds just fine.

If I leave the bike, pop the top strap and grab it by the handle and everything goes with me.

I put down rubber drawer liner that you can get in the silverware area of Walmart to ensure it doesn't mark the tank. It's never left a mark on my black paint.

The top of mine has a map window. I just write exit numbers on a sheet of paper in black marker and slip it in the window.

Find one that expands and has wide or long wings with magnets. The better it reaches around and down the tank the better.

What else do you want to know?
You're the man, Jonesee!
Don't know that you left much indecision... Now, which to get!? haha

Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 PM
XFXDX
Road Master
Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 PM
cajun555
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wife uses one that she found in Maypearl, Tx. Its small, Cell phone, readers, cigs, good for the stuff on a gas stop.

Its held on with magnets. I told her she would loose it in the first good cross wind; made a liar out of me.

Quick Reply: Tank Bags