General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leg cramp almost causes crash

Old 05-25-2014, 08:02 AM
acfetber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leg cramp almost causes crash

Went riding yesterday doing 55 when truck we were following came to a stop to make left turn. I put brakes on and the bike behind me moved his right foot to apply brake got real bad leg cramp could not move leg. He got stopped but almost went down, he locked up rear brake and was heavy on the front he was close to hitting me when he got it stopped. He was not following me close and has been riding for 50 years. Make sure you drink plenty of water and move your feet around even if you are not thirsty being in sun on 75 degree days can cause dehydration and that can cause leg cramps

Old 05-25-2014, 08:05 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Leg cramps do suck and definitely adds some "a$$-pucker" to the stopping factor. Glad you bud got through the event ok. Have him eat some bananas too (potassium).

Old 05-25-2014, 08:06 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,314 Likes on 8,407 Posts

Originally Posted by acfetber
Went riding yesterday doing 55 when truck we were following came to a stop to make left turn. I put brakes on and the bike behind me moved his right foot to apply brake got real bad leg cramp could not move leg. He got stopped but almost went down, he locked up rear brake and was heavy on the front he was close to hitting me when he got it stopped. He was not following me close and has been riding for 50 years. Make sure you drink plenty of water and move your feet around even if you are not thirsty being in sun on 75 degree days can cause dehydration and that can cause leg cramps
Don`t just drink water. Make sure the electrolytes in your body get replaced due to sweat in hot weather. Gatorade or some other kind of sports drink will accomplish this, as well as a healthy snack.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:09 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Even in the winter, I TRY to drink something whenever we stop. In the summer, it's a must. And after a ride, I drink 2-3 mugs of water, just to keep the cramps away.

I get them in my inner thigh and there's no way to get them to stop, other than drinking water.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:17 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 700 Likes on 381 Posts

Another trick for quick relief is mustard. I learned that from mountain biking. Used to carry little packets of it from fast food places in my pack.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:22 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,314 Likes on 8,407 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Even in the winter, I TRY to drink something whenever we stop. In the summer, it's a must. And after a ride, I drink 2-3 mugs of water, just to keep the cramps away.

I get them in my inner thigh and there's no way to get them to stop, other than drinking water.
That`s where I get them too, but only from riding my bicycle.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:29 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
And after a ride, I drink 2-3 mugs of water, just to keep the cramps away.

Here's something you might try!

Attached Thumbnails Leg cramp almost causes crash-midol.jpg  
Old 05-25-2014, 09:36 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Leg cramps do suck and definitely adds some "a$$-pucker" to the stopping factor...
Yep, been there, too!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard of this problem before. It is a very common problem found among Harley bikers. Has something to do with a leg cramp rendering the right hand inoperable and unable to apply the front brake. Pretty scary from what I have heard. I thank god that to this day a leg cramp has not disabled my right hand. Guess I better keep praying.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:41 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Why not use the front brake problem solved?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leg cramp almost causes crash